Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-26-2003, 01:45 PM

Default Results

I moved all in after the flop and got one caller.

We flipped up the cards and he turned over AQ of clubs

Of course, the turn was a club, and I was done...

I hope to never make a mistake like that again.

I asked him after the tourney if he would have called me n if I would have moved in before the flop...He said he would probably have called...But thats easy to say after the fact.

Thanks for all your responses.
WJ
Old 09-26-2003, 02:22 PM

Default Re: Results

Two points of consolation:

1. He probably would have called you preflop, so the outcome would have been the same.
2. You got your money in when you were ahead.

Be happy.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:07 PM

Default Re: What do you need to hold to call with here???

here's my analysis:

if someone has AK or a pocket pair, they are considerably more likely to call an all-in rather than make it themselves when it has already been raised (even though this is incorrect tournament strategy).

if one of the limpers has a pocket pair, your raise does not deny him the implied odds to call your raise and hope to flop a set and bust you, so you would rather that he fold to a big raise than call a small one.

there is 1400 in the pot already. here, even with aces, i don't believe there is a correct size to raise except all-in. if someone calls, great, you are a huge favorite and got some dead money in the pot. if not, you just added over 50% to your stack with zero risk. in a tournament, winning pots without having to show down the best hand is the key strategy.

in order to completely analyze the situation i would need the stack sizes of the limpers and blinds. these may seem like small details but they are always important.

by the way, these blinds are way too high for this stage of the tourney. with these stack sizes, blinds of 75/150 or 100/200 might be more reasonable, in which case a smaller raise would enter consideration. when the average player has to pay one fifth of his stack to even limp, you should push in with any hand that you believe is good.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]

JJ-TT I dont want to Exit the tournament with these hands.

What do you think?

[/ QUOTE ]

this is a great anaylsis, although you must realize there is a big difference between calling someone else's all-in and making one yourself with a hand like JJ.

although, with the blinds as massive as they are in the example you described, i think JJ is a big enough hand to call an all in if the opponents are playing typically aggressive. if they are still playing normally or if the blinds were more reasonable like 100/200, you should toss it.
Old 09-26-2003, 03:27 PM

An addtional benefit to going all-in with AA in this situation is that it protects you when you go all-in with a lesser hand in the future. If your opponents know that when you go all-in pre-flop that you do not have AA that puts you at a big disadvantage.

BTW, getting 3:1 odds with two cards to come your opponent had an easy call with the nut flush draw plus and overcard (even though the overcard was not good). He is probably no more than about a 2:1 dog.

Paul
Old 09-26-2003, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Results

Zag,

My thoughts Exactly.

WJ