Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-21-2005, 05:37 AM

Default Re: Another killing-animals/morality thread

This was not the purpose of the thread, the purpose was to discuss whether the proposed course of action is right or wrong, morally. I do not really want to try to prove that I have the ability and will to act on my convictions. I especially did not want to get into some sort of dick-waving contest.

Wow, I forgot how frustrating these arguments can be. So here's a couple questions for you, Pshreck:

1) The obvious implication of your question is that I am too young to know what I'm talking about. Is that right? Either way, why don't you just say that instead of making snide little one-liners?

2) How could I possibly prove that I would or would not actually follow through? Talk about how I've killed people in the past? Well, I haven't thankfully, so it's really your word (about what I'm made of) vs. my word (about what I'm made of). I have spent many years asking that question, you have spent 10min with me on the Internet. OK, fine.

3) The world is filled with child soldiers, teenage suicide bombers, 12-year-olds that avenge their father's deaths (yes, that actually happens, it wasn't just made up for the movies). What exactly does age have to do with it, anyway?

4) What exactly were you hoping to get out of this exchange? You didn't address the morality of the question. Do you just like arguing? Are you really convinced you know something about me that I do not? That's possible but see question 2.

This took a while to type; maybe you've followed up in the interim.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love my cat. She is not my property, she is my friend. If someone were to kill my cat, intentionally, I would hunt them down. Then, not only would I kill them, I would inflict as much pain as I could in the process. Let me reiterate: I would go beyond "eye for an eye" and inflict a punishment beyond the crime itself. Why? Because I feel the intentionality of desiring to kill my cat counts as much as or more then the actual act; however this is conditional on actually committing the act.

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your question has nothing to do with animals outside of the weirdness of your cat-affection. Your point is that you feel intention to kill is as important as the act of killing. You could replace "cat" with "sister" and still ask the same question.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:40 AM

My over subtle argument (and Busters) basically imply that you have to be mentally insane to actually do what you said you would do. Morally wrong? On my judgement of morals, which I think is pretty close to most Americans, of course it is morally wrong. I dont think you are insane for thinking so highly of your cat, but I think there are millions of American males who think they would do the same thing if their girlfriend/wife/mother was murdered, but 99.9% of them wouldn't seriously attempt to murder the killer.

Do you now see my point?
Old 05-21-2005, 05:48 AM

Phoenix,

Yes you are right. I would do the same if a person I loved was killed with intentionality. I was interested if someone would make a distinction.
Old 05-21-2005, 05:51 AM

Pshreck,

I was not confused about your point. As I say above, I don't see how you can know this about me. Further, I think adherence to what I believe far supercedes the consequences to myself. Although, plenty of people get away with murder and I think I'm pretty smart, that's not the point.

You can argue that my punishment is itself unjust; that is fine. But I have no qualms accepting life in prison for my (hypothetical) actions. Though suicide would then become a viable option.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:05 AM

Honestly Im not trying to be in a dick waving contest. But I think your posts are nothing more than internet induced ego/idea inflation. It happens to everyone (although not to the degree where they say they would kill for a cat, then consider suicide if they are convicted of a life imprisonment for doing so).

My point is that there is a connection between saneness and morality, and I think it is clear that your potential action is insane, and sign of a mentally unstable person, unable to judge real right and wrong. I think the ability to perform immoral actions comes from someone who can personal redefine the idea of morality, and this of course would be not only easy but almost neccesary for the mentally insane.

To reiterate what I said before though, I dont think you are insane for merely thinking you would avenge the death of your cat with murder. I think it is much more likely that when you are actually put to the question of performing this insane action, your brain would kick in and save you, as it probably has for millions of others who have had crazy ideas and didnt follow through with them.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:07 AM

u need a pair of:

Old 05-21-2005, 06:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
No, you are wrong. I would.

[/ QUOTE ]

So 10 years of hiding in the laundry room at night, to avoid gay sex, for your cat? Hmmmmm.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:12 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I love my cat. She is not my property, she is my friend. If someone were to kill my cat, intentionally, I would hunt them down. Then, not only would I kill them, I would inflict as much pain as I could in the process. Let me reiterate: I would go beyond "eye for an eye" and inflict a punishment beyond the crime itself. Why? Because I feel the intentionality of desiring to kill my cat counts as much as or more then the actual act; however this is conditional on actually committing the act.

Discuss.

[/ QUOTE ]

Do you realize how immoral your behavior would be? If you would do this for your cat, I can't imagine what you would do for your mother/wife/daughter. Even an idiot can see how greatly destructive these actions would be for society, not to mention how destructive these actions would be for your own life.

Do you really believe that while sitting in jail for a decade, you'd never regret your actions?
Old 05-21-2005, 06:22 AM

i hate cats because i am allergic to them. i hope your cat gets RUN OVER BY A TRUCK.