Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-09-2005, 06:11 PM

Default Re: Straight Draw

[ QUOTE ]
Dammit… I totally missed the fact that there was a completion. Easy fold on 3rd.
Also, the raise on 4th is okay since the pot is bigger than I thought.

[/ QUOTE ]
'Kay.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Your mistake as most mistakes begins on third street and compounds from there. You call a completed bet with j109 rainbow with two of your primary straight cards out (Q&8). you get lucky on fourth catch an 8 for the open ender. The raise isn't so bad there. You are then forced to bet fifth then call the raise on 6th to try to fill.

[/ QUOTE ]
I will accept that third street was a mistake, since everyone says so.
[ QUOTE ]
But you fail to fold the river. You are clearly beat with three pair. I am not happy catching a straight here at all. Third street was critical and it cost you.

[/ QUOTE ]
River fold cannot be correct, especially against this opponent.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
But you fail to fold the river. You are clearly beat with three pair. I am not happy catching a straight here at all. Third street was critical and it cost you.

[/ QUOTE ]
River fold cannot be correct, especially against this opponent.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've got to agree with spadle on this one. You don't think you will take this pot down like 8% of the time? There is to big of a chance that the guy is just betting his board to lay it down.
Old 12-09-2005, 06:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
As a rule, I give my opponents no credit before I give them credit.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me either. For instance, if Beermoney limp-lelaises me I don't give him credit for a 3-flush before I give him credit for a 3-flush.
Old 12-09-2005, 07:56 PM

Hero has bet this hand with strength. he has open 10's and yet seat 6 is still raising him on 6th. How can you think you would win this even 1 time in 20 times? What hand do you think seat 6 has that he is betting into the hero? You can not be a winer at stud if you are making the call on 3rd and then making the call on the river with this hand and in this situation. It is the sign of a non winning player. If you are not laying down hands ever, you are not winning.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:21 AM

3rd:Good raise,imo.If it had not been completed on 3rd,I would just call.But the pot is getting big enough to consider increasing your chance of winning with pr/2pr hands,too.
6th:I think the bet is better than the check/call.(Three 8"s gone,3's live,2 spades out.)When you bet,there's a very reasonable chance that your hand's still good,plus you have 3 re-draws against a flush or 9(hopefully)against a straight.
River:Yep.You're screwed.But the pot is too big. Tough luck.
Old 12-10-2005, 12:54 AM

With no reads on the player at the 3/6 level I think its safe to say that there are enough hands here that you beat to warant a call.
And I'm pretty sure calling the river with a small chance to win in a decent sized pot is not enough to make someone a losing player. If it's -EV, it's not by much.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:01 AM

There's another thing to consider about folding the river,too.It depends on whether these are people you play with all the time or not.I know that if I see a guy fold on the river in a big pot,I keep this in my memory for a very long time,because I'm looking for the chance to purchase a pot from him.And I'm not the only one who does this.
Old 12-10-2005, 01:12 AM

Exactly. You are losing way to much money when your wrong because they figured out that you won't call a river bet with a scary board.
Old 12-10-2005, 02:09 AM

Given the heros's open 10's and his opponent raising it on 6th, what hand do you think he has that the hero can win with? Given a paired doorcard, do you think that the player is going for a bluff here that he knows can not work. If you defend against every possible type of play that an oppenent can possibly try, then you will be calling way too much and giving away mot if not all the profit earned from other hands.

What hands can the hero's hand beat? Only a bluff it appears. And does the bluffer(if that is the case) think that in this case that his opponent will actually drop his hand?

To me, looks like a clear fold on river. But i've been wrong on occasion before also.