Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-24-2004, 06:54 PM

Default Re: Another Question

How reliable is the pot size stat at party and its skins? Considering that it sometimes takes five minutes for my name to show up on a waiting list, I have trouble counting on the promptness of the software.

That said, I usually just go for the bigger pot sizes as well. My table selection tends to run more along the lines of natural selection. I get four tables, see how they play for about twenty minutes, import to pokertracker, and see how the stats look. The game time window picture, along with a personal sense of how my opponents play, tells me whether I should stick around or get the hell out of Dodge.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:09 PM

Default Re: Looking for Help with Table Selection

I find table selection incredibly easy using the pokertracker autorate/ export notes tandem. I don't use buddy lists at all for finding tables.

I open up any table that has a medium pot size and see how many players I have notes on. Typically, I'll have notes on 1-4 players. Take a look closely at the folks to the right and left of the open seat. I try to keep the TAGs on my right and loose passives on my left.

As a general rule, if there's 3 or more known players at the table with VP$IP less than mine, I don't bother with the table. I used to avoid tables with even 1-2 other solid players, but I stopped that. It seems dumb not to get practice playing with some other quality players at the table. And if there's only 1-2 other solid players you won't tangle that often. Just make sure they don't have position on you and repeatedly make your time at the table uncomfortable.

I avoid tables with huge avg. pots at Party because they seem to attract TAGs very quickly. Lots of people seem to base their table selection solely on this stat. I also avoid tables with very small average pot size. I'm less likely to get paid off on my quality hands at these tables.

I can't speak for 5/10, but at 2/4 and 3/6 I think these simple steps will lead to quality tables. I also like the gametime window in pokertracker to help me determine if I should stay at a table. Sometimes I'll play a few orbits and see that half the table is tighter than I am. When that happens, I'm outta there.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:16 PM

Just a quick question on PT, how do you find the cold call % for players. thanks
Old 11-24-2004, 07:27 PM

Wuwei,

I have pokertracker, however could you elaborate on the "autorate/export notes tandem"?

BTW, informative post.
Old 11-24-2004, 07:51 PM

This thread will get you started on rating players. Note that there's a couple minor errors in the ranges Bison gives, which should be apparent when you start looking at them. This is discussed later in the thread, if you wade through all the replies.

The autorate option can be found in PT under the utilities menu. You can use Bison's rules to set up your ratings. PT walks you through this process pretty well, I think.

Under the utilities menu is the Import/Export player notes option. On the window that pops up, choose your site and location of the notes file. Click on advanced. On the 2nd tab here, you can choose what you want exported. I export my description from the auto-rate, VP$IP, PFR%, and total aggresion factor.

I find the ratings that Bison setup very useful for table selection. I try not to rely on them too much for evaluating postflop situations because unless you have hundreds of hands in your database, the conclusions you reach are unreliable.

That should get you started.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:21 PM

TY for the explanation and the link.
Old 11-24-2004, 08:36 PM

Play 6max, just do it. $5/$10 full ring are horrible.

You gotta have a buddy list, I usually just add the 60%VPIP. I think adding based on cold calling is definately good. I should really find a better way because some 60%ers are good post flop and some 40%ers suck.

Dont worry about good players, they wont be in many hands. Just find the loose ones.

If none of my buddies are playing the games I am then I go for pot size and watch. If I see cold calling or 4-5(6max)to a pot I join the list.

Also dont stalk the same guys everyday, I usually have a largish buddy list so I can go to different players on different days.

Table selection is definately the main thing you need to focus on if you want to have a good winrate.
Old 11-24-2004, 09:09 PM

Does anyone consider opponents' stack size in their table selection? If so, how?
Old 11-24-2004, 09:21 PM

Deja vu.

Table selection
Old 11-24-2004, 09:47 PM

Location: duffman is thrusting in the direction of the problem (mets are 9-13, currently on a 1 game winning streak)

[ QUOTE ]
Play 6max, just do it. $5/$10 full ring are horrible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I actually like the full tables more. I used to play the 6-max games, but the full games fit my style better. I actually like playing against sane people