Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-2005, 03:56 AM

Default Re: The Decline and Fall of SDM\'s Bankroll (aka \"I can\'t fold this\")

i guess i was taking the dead 7s as you aren't against trips. and your opps. have a dead card.
Old 09-23-2005, 04:01 AM

Default Re: The Decline and Fall of SDM\'s Bankroll (aka \"I can\'t fold this\")

my problem with table selection is i play with too many fish. you need a good mix so you can target playesrs.
Old 09-23-2005, 05:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
my problem with table selection is i play with too many fish. you need a good mix so you can target playesrs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh im gee, double-you tee eff are you talking about.
Old 09-23-2005, 07:25 AM

I agree with this in theory, but this is the game with 1/2 a bet bring in. I think I'd call as the the bring in for $1 still, and then you have to call again with so many in I think.

Is it best to fold for the 1/2 bet getting a probable 12.5-1?

Regardless, this looks to me like noone is going anywhere on 4th, so I'd just call there. Then maybe you can try raising on 5th to eliminate some people (though you'd rather have an A and a K than that pair of fives).
Old 09-23-2005, 08:26 AM

Yeah, you ARE getting really nice odds. And yet I hate it. I can’t really explain why though.
I will say that it should be unproblematic for a more experienced player, but if you’re inexperienced you will get yourself in trouble and make bad calls later in the hand more often than not.

I’d just pass up on what MIGHT be a profitable bet here and find myself a pair of beautiful, live aces. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
Old 09-23-2005, 09:05 AM

I find a fold on third i think. I like playing pairs in this game, if they are live. As bart said, call third, look to raise 5th.

Look at it this way. You have 4 "outs" heading to 4th street. On 4th you two pair up. Now, instead of having 4 outs, you have 3 outs. You have 25% fewer outs, for 3 more streets. That's gonna make a big difference.

The good news is, your opponents are routinely going to be making worse calls, etc, so this isn't the worst call in these games.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:23 AM

Okay, I'm probably going to come off a bit arrogant, but both the post and most of the advice is just bad here. The call for the completion is automatic. The call when it's limp/raised coming back is problematic with a dead pair card. I can fold here, regardless of odds. I may play here, planning to check/call one bet on fourth if I think the other players are really maniacal (which they seem to have been here). I will NEVER raise fourth into this crowd without the trips. They like to call in this game, so make them call when you have a big hand, not small two pair. This is a critical mistake as you tie yourself on by building a monster pot with a crap holding. This is where you call one, and plan to reevaluate on fifth with a fold a strong possibility.

To the other poster who said there are so many bad players he can't beat them -- you are severaly misguided. The material on very loose games in my book, The Pocket Idiot's Guide to Texas Hold'em can help you understand why, or read Ed Miller.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Okay, I'm probably going to come off a bit arrogant,

[/ QUOTE ]

You? Never.
Old 09-23-2005, 11:50 AM

lol. btw, my post was just under yours cause it was last, but I thought your advice was on the mark.

I'm sorry, but raising small two pair into a crowd of calling stations on fourth street is just a losing play. And the old "the players are so bad I can't beat them" line is just so wrong. Maybe the poster would like to sit in a game with all tight, solid players who would make correct folds, rather than a game with loose gooses who make incorrect calls?
Old 09-23-2005, 01:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah, you ARE getting really nice odds. And yet I hate it. I can’t really explain why though.
I will say that it should be unproblematic for a more experienced player, but if you’re inexperienced you will get yourself in trouble and make bad calls later in the hand more often than not.

I’d just pass up on what MIGHT be a profitable bet here and find myself a pair of beautiful, live aces. [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

That's exactly what I used to think. Then I kept reading this forum where everyone would post like I did. Now I don't know what to think?