Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-10-2005, 09:01 PM

Default Re: taking crap at the table (saturday night brantford 20/40)

[ QUOTE ]
white chip says this kid wears sunglasses at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

me? i haven't worn sunglasses in a poker room, though i may at the wsop this year.

if you mean the guy from #1 who was yelling at me, then yes, he was wearing sunglasses.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:43 PM

I'm 22, I don't really get any of the stuff you described, but if I did, I wouldn't take it lying down. I'm always very nice and never do anything remotely close to antagonistic or whatever, but if they started like this with me, I would make fun of them right back, make off hand comments that they don't really understand etc. Basically whatever I needed to do to make the game more +EV.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
white chip says this kid wears sunglasses at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

me? i haven't worn sunglasses in a poker room, though i may at the wsop this year.

if you mean the guy from #1 who was yelling at me, then yes, he was wearing sunglasses.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok I'm not a so called young punk or an old timer(in early 30's) but I can relate to both sides here I guess. I might suggest some of the attitude you get is brought on by your own arrogant attitude. In some of your replies you come across as very defensive and arrogant(as in the post above where you seem to be saying what does anybody here know anyways because I'm going to the WSOP). I don't know you or how you play(I assume maybe better than average but doesn't matter) but it does seem like you have a chip on your shoulder about your poker prowess and it probably comes out at the table which annoys others. Nobody likes being coached at the table.
When the old smart ass wants to see your cards that you wish to muck simply oblige him but also let him know that you will be seeing every hand he plays for the next hour. That should keep him off your back but likely won't win you any friends.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:44 PM

So did you donate or leave with their money? That seems to be a critical detail being left out.
Old 04-10-2005, 09:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So did you donate or leave with their money? That seems to be a critical detail being left out.

[/ QUOTE ]

i left stuck $1600. i do wish i could have stayed longer.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Ok I'm not a so called young punk or an old timer(in early 30's) but I can relate to both sides here I guess. I might suggest some of the attitude you get is brought on by your own arrogant attitude. In some of your replies you come across as very defensive and arrogant(as in the post above where you seem to be saying what does anybody here know anyways because I'm going to the WSOP). I don't know you or how you play(I assume maybe better than average but doesn't matter) but it does seem like you have a chip on your shoulder about your poker prowess and it probably comes out at the table which annoys others. Nobody likes being coached at the table.

[/ QUOTE ]

i certainly don't coach anyone at the table. i do think i was the best player at that table, but i wouldn't be playing if that wasn't the case. the only thing i really did that could be considered arrogant was not chopping blinds, but i don't really see how i can do anything to change that without giving up a lot of EV. perhaps that combined with my aggression and the way i look/dress and the fact that i tend not to smile a whole lot gives off an arrogant vibe or something. i don't really see how i can change that.

as for the wsop, i was just trying to point out the fact that i don't wear sunglasses but i certainly would if i felt that i had a reason to, which i might in june. i guess i should have just ignored that post.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:17 PM

Did your other account get banned?
Old 04-10-2005, 10:31 PM

Does not chopping really give up a lot of EV? I am just asking, I don't know the answer.

I chop for two reasons, to speed the game along (I play 10/20 where there is a collection every half hour), and to promote a friendly atmosphere at a table. If you want to be pegged as an a.h., that is one way to do it, as many people like to chop. That and your age I think were two strikes against you.
Old 04-10-2005, 10:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does not chopping really give up a lot of EV? I am just asking, I don't know the answer.

I chop for two reasons, to speed the game along (I play 10/20 where there is a collection every half hour), and to promote a friendly atmosphere at a table. If you want to be pegged as an a.h., that is one way to do it, as many people like to chop. That and your age I think were two strikes against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

i find that people in these games generally don't understand heads-up play (they fold too much) and the heads up situation is quite profitable. overall i guess the EV isn't terribly high though since the chopping situation probably comes up no more than 2-3 times in an 8 hour session. if chopping were something that almost everyone does, i'd certainly chop as well, but there are a lot of people in those games that don't chop. a lot of the people that don't chop are pros, though, so maybe they see not chopping as an arrogant thing since it's what the pros do. (and of course, someone that looks like me couldn't possibly be pro...)
Old 04-10-2005, 10:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i find that people in these games generally don't understand heads-up play (they fold too much) and the heads up situation is quite profitable. overall i guess the EV isn't terribly high though since the chopping situation probably comes up no more than 2-3 times in an 8 hour session. if chopping were something that almost everyone does, i'd certainly chop as well, but there are a lot of people in those games that don't chop. a lot of the people that don't chop are pros, though, so maybe they see not chopping as an arrogant thing since it's what the pros do. (and of course, someone that looks like me couldn't possibly be pro...)

[/ QUOTE ]

My game is different. Almost everyone chops. One time I did see someone who chopped for a man, but wouldn't chop for a woman. That got the woman mad at him.