Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-29-2004, 05:37 PM

Default Re: Draw Poker Problem In Supersystem

[ QUOTE ]
I haven't looked at S/S in a long time, but I do remember this example. I'm not going to give spoilers, other than to say that Doyle's explanation was quite a bit deeper than I would ever think.

Hint:
YOUR cards play a large part in the decision.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hint: Your cards don't play any significant part in the decision.

Compare (22234 or JJJQA) vs KKQQJ. The key idea in this "problem" is that you want to freeze your opponent on his current hand and not cause him to draw down to a pair. Not very complex, and this concept shows up quite often in lowball, and not so often in Hi Draw.

Worrying about you very small odds of making quads over a full house is silly. As is dithering about this problem. This situation will come up very very rarely, and when it does come up. The EV difference between drawing or rapping pat is small. Hence THIS IS NOT AN IMPORTANT PROBLEM.

I think a very commmon mental mistake among 2+2 poster's (and Al Mirpuri in particular) is worrying about things which are not important. Again everyone needs to read Mason's Essay in PE3 on page 93 on what is and is not important.
Old 09-29-2004, 06:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I haven't looked at S/S in a long time, but I do remember this example. I'm not going to give spoilers, other than to say that Doyle's explanation was quite a bit deeper than I would ever think.

Hint:

[/ QUOTE ]

Compare (22234 or JJJQA) vs KKQQJ. The key idea in this "problem" is that you want to freeze your opponent on his current hand and not cause him to draw down to a pair. Not very complex, and this concept shows up quite often in lowball, and not so often in Hi Draw.

Worrying about you very small odds of making quads over a full house is silly. As is dithering about this problem. This situation will come up very very rarely, and when it does come up. The EV difference between drawing or rapping pat is small. Hence THIS IS NOT AN IMPORTANT PROBLEM.

I think a very commmon mental mistake among 2+2 poster's (and Al Mirpuri in particular) is worrying about things which are not important. Again everyone needs to read Mason's Essay in PE3 on page 93 on what is and is not important.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you're missing the piont. This is a mental exercise. I highly doubt most of the educated world will ever have the NEED to know that Pi is 3.14, but most of the eeducated world knows it anyways becasue tey were taught it. There's lots of things that are useful to know, and things such as this can help get you thinking in different ways about poker, which I'm sure Mason is in full support of.
Old 09-29-2004, 07:53 PM

Well, his chances of making trips increase if he draws 3 cards. So, you want him to draw 1 card.

If you draw 1 card, he will assume that you have a hand that beats his as otherwise you would draw three to make trips yourself. So, he will react by drawing 3 cards. Not good for you.

If you draw two cards, same logic applies (unless he somehow believes that you are keeping a kicker with AA in order to induce him to break his two pairs...hehe...that would be kinda neat if you could pull off that coup with say AA873 or whatever).

Incidentally, if you draw 1 card, I suppose that there is a slight chance that he might consider that you are drawing to an Ace high flush in which case he shouldn't break his two pairs for two reasons: (a) if you make your flush, he needs to give himself as good a chance as he can to fill and(b) You could pair your Ace. But all this is an unlikely scenario and he should know it.

So, the answer would appear to be "stand pat" and make him draw one to try and fill. Obviously, if he fills, you haven't hurt yourself by not drawing because you couldn't have beat his boat even if you drew cards.

Neat problem.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:40 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Hint:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

What you did not know bygmesterf is that I was offering a $1,000,000 prize for the best answer.

Daliman, the check is in the post.
Old 09-30-2004, 06:58 AM

Default A Plea To bygmesterf

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Dear bygmesterf,

Could you please give all us 2+2 posters suffering under our "mental mistake[s]" a list of subjects that we may post about?

Yours sincerely,

Al Mirpuri.
Old 09-30-2004, 05:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What you did not know bygmesterf is that I was offering a $1,000,000 prize for the best answer.

Daliman, the check is in the post.

[/ QUOTE ]

I will be waiting with baited breath.

Mmmm....Wormy.... [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]