Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 05:18 PM

Default Re: How long have you been playing poker?

Flogging around for about a year.
Seriously since April 1st.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:37 PM

Mother's Day of this year after receiving 5 bucks from pacific. Havent looked back.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:01 PM

July 2003. Deposited $200 on Stars for a $40 bonus. Busted. Deposited $50 on Stars, running off that deposit ever since.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:33 PM

5 card draw:Probably 2000 or so
Hold 'Em:2002
Online Poker:2003
Old 08-23-2005, 08:37 PM

First hand: April, 2003.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:39 PM

I started in May 2004, turned pro around November 2004 and never looked back. Turning pro was probably easier for me than most, since I had no gig at the time (I was doing contract Java programming), had some savings from the dotcom era, and I was too sick to work due to then undiagnosed non-hodgkins lymphoma.

Now I am no longer too sick to work, but I love poker much better than Java so I'm sticking with it.
Old 08-23-2005, 08:43 PM

close to exactly 2 years.
Old 08-25-2005, 05:09 AM

Have donked around with friends in occasional home games (all those crazy wild-card games; baseball, follow-the-queen, etc) for 20 years. Didn't know the first thing about the math (like it really matters for those games much anyway), but always had a pretty good sense of the cards, and usually managed to win.

Started playing seriously online in Feb 2004...put $50 in at Pacific (that in itself occasioned a serious discussion with the wife), and never had to put in any more.

I knew I wanted to play seriously...went to a bookstore at the very beginning and luckily, the book I essentially picked at random was HEFAP. Just a half-effective, superficial understanding of starting hand requirements was enough to slowly build bankroll.

First B&M game in July 2004.

Work took me on a 6-month hiatus from regular poker during the 1st half of this year...was far away from both B&M AND online during that time. There was, however, a regular small-stakes NLHE game among colleagues that I was able to just crush during that time...without any prior NL experience.

Now back from that jaunt, am just now getting into multitabling for first time (wasn't able to multi at Pacific...if anyone knows how, what am I missing?). On one hand, I wish I had discovered that sooner...but on the other, I recognize that if I had tried it earlier, it probably would have hurt building a solid game.

So...started about a year and a half ago, but have about a year's worth of regular online play, and maybe 6 months of B&M play.
Old 08-25-2005, 01:51 PM

Twenty years ago, when I was 18 I regularly played in a game with 2 or 3 grand on the table at any given time. We always played 8 card hi/lo with a declare. From that time until now, I have played in home games of varying seriousness. I have been playing online for 2 years now, with a few profitable B&M trips mixed in.