Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-03-2005, 03:04 PM

Default Re: Taking The Opposite Side (kinda long?)

So I call your raise ten times 'cause I like to play against folks who have a tendency to push the flop. I fold 9 times and call once. I like these odds.

I know I'm oversimplifying but I love to sit at tables with folks who play like this. It makes my decisions very easy.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I call your raise ten times 'cause I like to play against folks who have a tendency to push the flop. I fold 9 times and call once. I like these odds.

[/ QUOTE ]

(emphasis mine)

So, you are calling postflop based on your read on me that I am a LAG?

But remember, your read on me is that I nut-peddle. Given that you think I'm a nut-peddler, what do you think I push with? Do you still call?

I'm going to do some EV calculations on my assumptions later today.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:10 PM

Push

If he's capable of folding, him folding plus the times you actually hit your hand will make you money in the long run.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:14 PM

Are you talking about hand 1 or 2?
Old 11-03-2005, 03:19 PM

The 87[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] silly[img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-03-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

FIRST SIDE: Against the Typical TAG

Stars 1/2 NL, effective stacks $200 all around.

UTG is a typical learning TAG, who tends to nut-peddle. Opens pot for $10. All fold to Hero on the button with 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. Hero calls, blinds fold.

2 to the flop for $23. Flop comes 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

UTG bets $23.

In this scenario, against this opponent, I push. I don't mind if he calls, but given his playing style, he folds frequently. Now, assuming that everyone's on board with this plan, let's move on to the other side of the hand...

The second side of this hand I'm not so sure about.

SECOND SIDE: Against a Good (Enough) Player

Same exact hand, but now Hero is the UTG player with about what you'd expect: a high pockket pair.

Stars 1/2 NL, effective stacks $200 all around.

Hero has K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] UTG, and opens for $10. Only the button calls. The button is a decent to excellent player who will not mage egregious postflop errors (edit).

2 to the flop for $23. Flop comes 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

What's Hero's action?

I'm thinking big overbet of perhaps $50, or maybe even push right now. What do you think? I don't want to give Btn the reigns, and my hand desperately needs protection. Consiidering that a bet of $50 leaves me with $140 in what will be a ~$123 pot, I'm inclined to push.

Edited line 2 read on button for clarity.

[/ QUOTE ]

First Hand is perfect.

Second Hand, I agree that pushing is too extreme. This situation isn't the same as the situation from that article. In that article I advised playing draws slowly against loose callers because you can wait to see if your hand is good and still get paid.

I think pushing is too strong. I would just bet the pot and try to milk him, pushing the turn.

its pretty cool that people are reading my articles. ill try to keep writing more. thanks.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:27 PM

Please do keep writing.
Old 11-03-2005, 03:36 PM

No--whether you nut peddle or not, if you have a tendency to push flops I like to play against you because you make my play easy.

Nut-peddlers who overplay the flop are easy to play against. Nothing better than to call a raise, confident in what the other player has and then have that same player push the flop all in. I'll sit all day with a player like this.

From reading your posts I do not get the impression at all that you are a player like this or that you are easy to play against, which is not at all the point I'm trying to make.
Old 11-03-2005, 04:35 PM

Thanks a lot for commenting on the thread. And thanks also for the articles.
Old 11-03-2005, 05:26 PM

Are you also pushing top set on the flop?

Edit: Also, aren't people going to become very suspicious if they see you push a flop several times in one session, and possibly make a mistake by calling with JJ or QQ here?