Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-17-2005, 02:19 PM

Default Re: Tofu - Flavor\'s Enemy

[ QUOTE ]
I would stay away from Tofu Gyros, Tofu Hummus, i.e. cuisines that are inexperienced with tofu use, as I'm sure it will end up tasting like [censored]. Honestly, Tofu Gyros? Disgusting... Anyway, my two cents.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely man. I don't know how anyone would consider eating tofu gyros. If you are going to eat tofu, then you should just order some next time you go out to your local asian restaurant. Asian cuisines are far more experienced using tofu in dishes. You would definitely enjoy dishes like ma po dofu and korean spicy hot pot soups filled with lots of tofu. Later you can use these experiences and figure out how you want to cook tofu better.
Old 11-17-2005, 02:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dannon Frusions

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know how healthy these things can be. They have high-fructose corn syrup in them.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You would definitely enjoy dishes like...korean spicy hot pot soups filled with lots of tofu.

[/ QUOTE ]

Called Soon Dubu Jigae, this is probably one of my favorite Korean foods. Spicy with lots of tofu in it. It looks spicy enough to burn a hole through flesh (though it's not as spicy as it looks). But when made right it is [censored] fantastic.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You can microwave tofu to get all the water out of it and then it doesn't fall apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

They also sell tofu in varying grades of firmness. Ranging from very firm (you can pick it up by spearing it with a fork), to not firm at all (it'll disintegrate if you even drop it into the pot roughly). Buy them all and experiment.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
You can microwave tofu to get all the water out of it and then it doesn't fall apart.

[/ QUOTE ]

They also sell tofu in varying grades of firmness. Ranging from very firm (you can pick it up by spearing it with a fork), to not firm at all (it'll disintegrate if you even drop it into the pot roughly). Buy them all and experiment.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very firm is preferred by basically everyone.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Very firm is preferred by basically everyone.

[/ QUOTE ]

No way.
Old 11-17-2005, 04:32 PM

tl;dr.
Tofu rules.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sounded like your marinade should of worked.... did you leave it long enough?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really... it was a desparation attempt towards the end of frying, and this was after it had been cooking for like an hour and a half.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:40 PM

You always dump the water out. In fact, if you keep tofu in the fridge for a while, after opening, you should change the water every few days.

Tofu is flavorless, like you note. The way you get it to work in cooking is by either mixing it in so that flavorlessness doesn't matter, or preparing it properly. But biting into a bit hunk of tofu is going to be pretty dull. It's not really good consumed as a giant piece, anyway.

Marinating tofu can make it fine in bite sized pieces, if stir-fried. Then it can become chewy, though still lightly flavored. But it doesn't at least taste like a big bunch of nothing.

You have to experiment with tofu products and add-ins, because many are crap. Like, some tofu cheese is good and some is only worth spitting out. A whole lot of products are like that; blame the idea, not the tofu. You can't take a bad recipe and then blame the tofu for the recipe being bad.

Myself, I like it best cubed up and dropped into Ramen(makes a very unnutritious meal much better for you), cold into salads(adds balanced protein and the flavorlessness isn't bad here), put in spaghetti(much nutrition added, and it blends in the the texture of the noodles so that you don't really even notice the tofu.

I've fried it up and found it edible but not very satisfying.

A key to it is how much moisture is in it. I like the firmest kind, myself, but whatever kind you get, if you are marinating it for frying up, or just frying it straight, you want to squeeze some water out of it. Put it in a plate or bowl and put another plate or two on top of it, to squeeze out the water.
Old 11-17-2005, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tofu is a [censored] sponge for flavor. If its flavorless, that's because you don't know how to prepare it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I clearly don't know how to prepare it... This was my first try.

I appreciate some of the suggestions in this thread though, so I might give it another chance sometime.