Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-03-2003, 04:56 PM

Default Re: How would you play this hand?

i think maybe the main thing in betting is to prevent it being checked around, so if you dont think that will happen then i dont think betting is so much better than checking.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:18 PM

Default Re: Huh?

Ok, maybe I got a bit overzealous with the "bet the best hand" stuff.

~stephen
Old 10-03-2003, 05:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there is a diamond draw out there. You have an UTG raiser and 2 players calling 2 cold preflop.

There is no way your bet is going to win you the hand right away, and your hand is horribly vulnerable. You can easily be raised.

I don't like the bet.

[/ QUOTE ]

What he said.
Old 10-04-2003, 09:17 AM

Default Well then . . . what now?

It looks as if half the people would bet and the other half would check and fold to a raise, but call if it didn't get raised, which makes sense given the action.

The flop action went as follows: The SB checked, I bet, UTG called, the 1st MP player raised, the 2nd MP folded and we all called.

TURN: A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]

The SB bet. What now? Call, raise, fold?

I raised. Comments?

~stephen
Old 10-04-2003, 11:00 AM

Default Re: Buckshot

I meant betting, assuming you will be raised by the pfr and by four-way squared I meant if the board goes running diamonds.

What do I know. Go ahead and keep betting your middle pair into four people, including a pre-flop raiser on a co-ordinated board. Hell, if you checked it might get bet and raised and then you'd have to fold a hand.

I would check and call a single bet if I was close to closing the action. I don't really like parlay bets, so I don't like voluntarily putting money on the hopes that I improve, I improve to the winning hand, that an opponent hands won't improve to a better hand, and that a winning hand will be folded because of my raise. Oh yeah, not to mention the fact that if an Ace did happen to fall off on the turn, chances are my flop-action caused a badly dominated hand to fold. I think it gets even worse when I have to pay two bets.

Oh yeah, by the way. The only thing I keep under my pillow is the latest issue of "Barely Legal" [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-04-2003, 11:45 AM

Default Re: Well then . . . what now?

Correct yuo RAISE. The Turn hit yuo perfect. IF yuor reraised be prepared to check call this to the river. But I think yuor ahead.

At the moment I figure UTG 2 overcards, MP posible flush draw and sb A,X (large card, maybe 9)or over cards IN hearts. The action next will till us more. If UTG reraises put him on A,Q ; A,K 85% A,A 15%, Go ahead and cap it if no else does. IF someone else caps yuor back to call. And Check call river unless yuo Fill Up. If MP Does the three bet now I got to figure him for Trips. But Im still going to showdown.
Old 10-04-2003, 05:10 PM

Betting the flop even if you are 100% sure the pre-flop raiser on your immediate left has an overpair and will raise is often the best play.

This is basic TOP stuff (pg. 74). You often want to put an extra bet into the pot in order to play the hand heads-up against the best hand. The goal is to increase your chances of winning the pot at the cost of one bet even though you're still going to be an underdog.

Clarkmeister had a very long thread in both Mid-Stakes and Small Stakes about this. I believe Mason commented on it in the Mid-Stakes thread.

The big question here is: Is the pot big enough that you want to be playing heads-up against the best hand? Is that extra bet worth it this time? And, of course, can you get the hand heads-up?
Old 10-04-2003, 06:44 PM

I would strongly consider a check and call in this situation:

considerations:

1. You dont have a feel for the flop in the table yet. Who is playing how and why. The bet out to isolate is IMO very table feel dependent and a good read. Later in the session it may well be right play.
2. In most games that I am in the end result is that most everyone will call on the flop, ending in a pretty bad situation for a week hand - out of position.
3. If you are raised by UTG with a higher pair you are not going to get the needed odds to draw on the turn.
4. This flop could easily be checked around, which is marginal either way for your hand and this board.. A late postion bet could perhaps be profitably check raised. The only time you really lose with a checked flop is if you bet and were raised by UTG holding overcards.
Old 10-06-2003, 12:32 AM

I had an extremely similar hand today in a surprisingly tight microlimit game, where I had A7s in EP, I raised, it was reraised by MP, cold called by LP, and I called.

The flop came 479, with two suited, and the third card matching my cards. I checked, MP bet, LP folded, I checkraised, MP called.

When I came out betting after the turn brought a third suited card, MP folded, and gave me the pot!