Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 02:05 PM

Default Re: Canterbury Park, my BR, SSH and a move to Minnesota (brrrrrr)...

I moved from Indiana 14 years ago. I've never visited anywhere that I'd rather live. The only thing that sucks (IMO) is that winter is about 6 weeks longer here. That last month can get to be a drag. Learn to skate or ski...having an outdoor activity can make a huge difference on how you view the never ending winter. I'd much rather deal with the cold than the month of 90+ temps with 90% humidity I grew up with.
Old 08-06-2004, 04:22 PM

$2500 is certainly thin if you're looking to make 30/60 your regular game, but for taking a flyer on your last day it shouldn't be a problem. Buy in for $1000, re-load once if need be. The first (and so far only) time I played 30/60, it took a couple of orbits before I realized that each stack was $200 (instead of a full rack at 6/12) - and a couple more orbits before I could forget that and concentrate on playing poker!
Old 08-07-2004, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I've never been to Minnesota, but one thing it has over Virginia: Live poker.

This whole area sucks when it comes to poker.

-McGee in Bethesda, MD

[/ QUOTE ]

Grew up near you in Potomac, MD (Churchill HS, class of '83). Nation's Capitol and no f-ing poker. What gives?
Old 08-07-2004, 01:44 PM

As others have said, if you want loose and passive, $6/12 is your game. The $8/16 tends to be signifcantly more aggressive, and over a fairly long term, I have fared much better in the $6/12 game. There are usually multiple games going, so you should be able to find a good one. $2500 is plenty. If you come close to losing that in three days of $8/16, you probably stink. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] With that much money, you can probably take a look at the $15/30 game, although I'm probably not the guy to ask for bankroll advice.

I have lived variously in New Jersey, Connecticut, Boston, Chicago, and for the last twelve years, the Twin Cities. I really can't imagine living anywhere else. I don't mind the winters, but I'm a rugged indoorsman. I think it all depends on what you do for fun. Most of what I do outside of the office and poker revolves around music, and the Twin Cities has a rich and varied music scene. Whatever you're into, we've probably got it. If you're into skiing and ice fishing (I am decidedly not), this is definitely the place for you.
Old 08-07-2004, 10:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Heading to Canterbury for three days next week (Thur-Sun) with a BR of about $2500. I routinely beat the 2/4 at Party (3+BB/100) and did well at 3/6 and 6/12 in Vegas back in June (the Pre-Millerian Epoch). A few questions...

Can I play the 8/16 at Canterbury on my BR (assuming 8 hours a day x 3 days)?

Will SSH likely apply to this game (loose-passive with too many seeing the flop and too many staying in too long)?

Thanks to sister-in-law for the plane tix, but I have to sit through 3 days of her pitching (softly) the idea of a move to Minnesota. Sorta like one of those time-share deals in Vegas where they give you dinner and a show for sitting through a 3-hour presentation. Can any of you Minnesotans (sp?)weigh in on the wisdom of a move from sunny and warm rural BF Virginia to the land of the frozen testicle?

[/ QUOTE ]

I spent the beginning of the summer playing mostly 6/12 with the occaisional 4/8 or 8/16, the early/middle playing the 8/16 and now mainly the 15/30. The 6/12 is much softer than the 8/16. The 8/16 can be maniac/aggressive, loose aggressive (typical) or even sometimes kinda tight agressive. It's not very often a passive game.

6/12 is more on the passive side with plenty of players who really don't know quite what they're doing yet. Try that game, see how you like it. If you don't, table change. That is definately key. there are often some rockish games and those suck.

The 15 game is a little hit or miss, but it's often a good game.

Good luck.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:55 PM

I just started playing the 6/12 this summer and I would just parrot everyone else on here that tends to be a very good game. Last night there were actually 2 borderline maniacs in the 6/12 I was playing in, but they weren't tricky enough to creat any real difficulties and basically just gave a lot of chips away.