Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-26-2004, 02:03 AM

Default Re: A hand with an easy answer

I'd fold. Looks like trips or a set (full house) to me. And 1st round I think I would wait til I am sure I have the best of it. You still have 3/4 of your stack left.
Old 12-26-2004, 02:11 AM

Default One-eighty

Oops, I thought it was 'AA,' not 'AA-JJ.' And I guess I must have thought that the pot was re-raised preflop or something. Because as it is, I fold.

p.s. I would have raised more preflop though. Maybe 100.
Old 12-26-2004, 05:07 AM

Default Re: One-eighty

I wouldn't be caught in this situation as with a hand like AA, KK, or QQ, I would have raised more PF. With JJ, I would have limped & called.

Considering the level that we're playing, fishy $10+1, I call with AA-QQ and fold JJ (other). At the $33+3 level, I would more likely fold all hands.

I justify the call due to the probabilities that it's a bluff, which is common when the 2-3 fish per table are still present.

I would enjoy the critique.
Scuba
Old 12-28-2004, 07:15 PM

Adanthar, don't we get any of your wise advice on this...
Old 12-28-2004, 10:02 PM

Call in a heartbeat. Most players who flop trips here are going to check-call, or maybe check-raise.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:18 PM

First off, I think I probably shouldn't have made the parameters that wide. Tossing in JJ and a TT5 flop in there is a little too much - that T is too high a card and JJ is a little too vulnerable even when ahead.

That said, I'm surprised that this many people said to fold. For the low buyins, and only for them, my answer is basically this: You're getting 2:1 on the call and there is no way in the world he has trips and is playing them that straightforwardly 2/3 of the time.

In the actual hand, I had QQ, the flop was 886, I called quickly, was shown 76 sooted (with a 3 flush!) and I think I eventually got a Step 5 buyin out of that tourney. Sometimes you're going to lose these, but more often than not this is a double up. The average low buyin Party fish simply doesn't play trips that fast.
Old 12-29-2004, 06:12 PM

I very well would bet a bit more with AA-JJ. At the low buyins players do not look at pot odds just absolute values of $ and will call 90 chips (100 carries a bit more psychological weight) just as easily as 60. Anyways, raising 60 should be fine. Post flop I'm assuming that the LP caller folds after you raise the pot?

The post flop raise is too weak if you're going to back down to an allin (which some people suggest) -- frankly your post flop raise is nothing more than a baiting raise -- the pot is now 410 and 90 for him to call (which is why I probably bet more if there are 2 or 3 to a flush -- as he can call my raise correctly if he has a flush draw). I'm not that worried about my opp. having trips. My raise post flop would be to ~ 250-300 (probably not allin as I figure to have the best hand and don't mind a call). With a raise to 250 the pot is now 510 and it's 190 for him to call -- not proper odds if chasing a flush draw.

When he goes allin at such a low level after the post flop raise, I now *highly* doubt he has trips or a full house or a made flush and put him on two pair, a flush draw, or overcards. I call and start up a new SNG if he shows trips.

Yugoslav
Old 12-29-2004, 07:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That said, I'm surprised that this many people said to fold. For the low buyins, and only for them, my answer is basically this: You're getting 2:1 on the call and there is no way in the world he has trips and is playing them that straightforwardly 2/3 of the time.

[/ QUOTE ]

People at 10+1 love slow playing trips - I agree that they will more than likely check-[do something] rather than bet out.

I call, and if I'm wrong I fire up another one, If I'm right, well don't I look smart.
Old 12-29-2004, 07:54 PM

I hate to post after Adanthar gave his 'correct answer' (as he sees it), but I agree... this is such an easy call at this level, and I am pretty dissapointed so many people thought it was a fold? The villain played the hand like they would if they had some PP or paired the undercard... and not like they would if they flopped a big hand.

Another point... this is what makes the 10+1s so beatable, identifiying absolute BS all ins, when you are in fact 80%+ to win when you call it. If you are making folds in this spot and other similar ones where you think you must be dominated, you are forfeiting serious ROI at the lower levels.

By the way Adanth... you have exactly 1337 posts now... you are so LEEEEET.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:36 PM

call