Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2002, 02:29 AM

Default Re: Problem with Bush\'s Oil Proposal

I think that part of the problem is that the enviornmentalists have lost a lot of their credibility. Their villification of big business and their constant apocalypic portrayal of the future has caused people to ignore them. It is obvious from past success that working with business and government for sensible development is best. However, when the president hears them calling him names and saying businesses are evil, why should he bother listening? Businesses and the environment are both worth preserving and if the lobbying groups took more of a "here's reasonable alternatives, lets work together attitude" they would be much more successful. A good example of this is John Denver's crusade to preserve Alaska wilderness. By treating the people who he was trying to convince with respect and actually negotiating he and his group were able to preserve huge amounts of land. When people think of environmentalists, they think of people laying down in front of steamrollers to save an endangered bug. They could change this by being less willing to make accustations and more willing to comprimise.

As far as the snowmobiles go, I think they are loud and not very fun so I agree with any ban [img]/forums/images/icons/grin.gif[/img]. However blaming Bush seems a little extreme since I hope he has more important things to do than to deeply consider whether to allow snowmobiles in a national park. Then again stranger things have happened.