Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2005, 03:13 PM

Default Re: \"I wish most of these \"LAG\" hand threads would die\" Warning:NL400

[ QUOTE ]
Also, while being a LAG is cool, in the Party 400 full ring games, it's pretty risky cause there are TONS of calling stations/people who love to think everything is a bluff in those games.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do I always think that people are playing in a completely different game than I am? I don't think this could be further from the truth in an average Party 400NL game. I also don't think that playing LAG in those games is risky at all. An effective LAG style might even lower variance.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:10 PM

Default Re: \"I wish most of these \"LAG\" hand threads would die\" Warning:NL400

[ QUOTE ]
After Matt Flynn made his LAG challenge there have been posted some more or less hopeless LAG hands. I have got the impression that some posters only played LAG hands, so they could post them here (myself included I think). Almost no one wants the other posters on 2+2 to think, that they are a weak tight nit, whose only poker ability is to play pocket pairs and flop sets with them. (Something else - I found a post by ML4L in the archives and I think it’s quite interesting).

I of course also don’t want to be viewed as a set miner, that folds KK to a reraise. It’s much cooler if people think you are a winning LAG (which I am not).
And I want to be less ABC and maybe learn how to make profitable moves.

Some info: Villain is one of the better players at Party 400NL. Tight aggressive.
Earlier we played this hand: I open limp in CO with AJ spades. Villain calls in SB. 3 to the flop - QJ8 with two spades. Checked around. Turn is 7s. Villain bets $11, I raise to $35. He calls. River is a blank. I bet 2/3 pot and he calls with KQo with the king of spades. Not the best play by him, but he knows what he is doing, and perhaps he learned something from this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Why no raise preflop?
2) Why no flop bet?

Either of these plays would have made you a pile of money in this case.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

1) Why no raise preflop?
2) Why no flop bet?

Either of these plays would have made you a pile of money in this case.

[/ QUOTE ]

1)I actually didnt notice I was CO because two players were sitting out (not a good excuse). I sometimes limp in with AQs and down in LP. I dont know if this is good but but some posters here has made good arguments for this.
And openlimping is not always bad IMO.

2)I bet here with most hands so I decided to check... Mix it up (my opponents are probably not observant enough to notice this). He never puts me on a flush because I didnt bet my draw on turn. I would have won more if I had bet the flop, i agree.
Old 08-30-2005, 04:58 PM

Default Results and thoughts

People don’t love my play for several reasons and I agree with most of it. Funny, I thought my play was a lot better than the reraise I made with 98o as described in another post. And a lot of posters actually liked that play…

I just reread SS1. Obviously it’s not the best book in the world but it has some good points.
Doyle talks about putting his opponent to a decision for all his chips. That was what I tried to do. My opponent had 200BB. I didn’t think he would risk all of it with a pair of aces/kings against a solid opponent.

But as The Bear says, my range of hands on him is probably too narrow (AK, AA or KK). He could have a lot of other hands that he would bet the turn with (and call my reraise).
He thought for a long time, folded and said he had AA. He also said that one of the reasons he folded was, that he had been running very bad the last week.