Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-2005, 07:14 PM

Default Re: I need some advice

ah, but what do you consider a GOOD roi? 10% is a GREAT roi. you have yer goals a bit too high i think, and you will continually be dissapointed, which is not the best way to go about playing poker. holla
Old 06-08-2005, 06:28 PM

I was listening to Fischman talk about quasi-similar stastical phenomenon as if it were meaningful. He would say 'I know this doesn't make any sense but....and how do you explain that?!?! I mean, it's just too impossible.....' He was saying 'I don't believe in this kind of stuff' only to then basically admit he believed it. He's a very smart guy....and probably does very well not letting the 'results' get to him too much (as in he knows he's v good but doesn't think he's the greatest ever just for going 1 and then 2 in the same event 2 years in a row).

Anyway, the statistics or whatever you're talking about aren't really meaningful in any way....unless it can give you some sort of psychological or mental boost to your game/life.

The other problem with your antecdotal ramblings is that they do not inspire a large sample and do not sound necessarily accurate. You could *easily* think that your results are as you state when, in fact, they are quite different. Unless you have a very detailed log of times and results it's not even clear that this pattern even actually exists in your reality.

Of course, even if it did...it doesn't really matter.

I'd put much more weight into thinking I played bad at a certain time...if...perhaps, I always seem to feel 'dead' or 'tired' during that part of the day. Or if my opponents are making fewer mistakes or better plays. *That* would actually worry me and/or make me pause to think.

Yugoslav
Old 06-08-2005, 06:35 PM

The weird thing is that I feel "dead" in the morning...around noon. I DO keep records of the times I play. After 5 PM or so, I start to lose. I have noticed before that when I am REALLY REALLY tired, I get itm without even knowing it and I have no clue where my chips came from. That is irrelevant though. I do have a small sample, only like 300 or so games, where this pattern has occured, but I think I am going to try playing only 10-20 games a day in the morning for about a week and see what happens, even though I want to play as much as possible.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:40 PM

Don't take this the wrong way because I think you play SNGs very well, but you really just need to learn how to adjust, not just to time of day, but to the texture of each table, and each individual player. You are a very good player but you could be great if you adjusted.

The games at night should be played differently then those during the day in general and if you aren't adjusting then this trend of yours is not surprising. (I am strictly speaking of 215s btw for the lurkers out there, but this may apply to other levels as well).
Old 06-08-2005, 07:06 PM

I'm still early into SNGs...I've found on PP they're tougher during the day/early evening (Central Time). After midnight...it's free money
Old 06-08-2005, 07:10 PM

bad varience