Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-05-2005, 01:57 PM

Default Re: i raise the monotone board with a 5...bet this river?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Hero did raise preflop. This line plays just like a solid ace trying to charge a lower pair or flush draw the most when the streets get expensive and his equity is higher. Likewise, it gives him a chance for a free showdown UI when there's a decent chance we'd call a river bet anyway.

[/ QUOTE ]

This line is almost as bad with an ace as it is with 55.

[/ QUOTE ]

Explain why?
If villain is donk betting with a draw, then raising the flop does get us an extra SB. However, our equity isn't all that great since he has so many outs to improve. If we wait until the turn for him to semibluff a non spade, we can raise to make an extra 2SB, instead of just one on the flop. Likewise, our equity at this point is MUCH higher than on the flop since he only has one card to come. Seems like a great line with AK to me.

The only difference between this and 55, is that the AK type hand can value bet a non-spade river too in case he has a pair. 55 can see a free showdown, costing it the same 2BB it would be to just call down, while charging a flush draw and possibly getting a higher PP to fold.

Let's hear your explanation why my line sucks.
Old 08-05-2005, 02:02 PM

Default Re: i raise the monotone board with a 5...bet this river?

[ QUOTE ]

Let's hear your explanation why my line sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

Because he occasionally has a better hand than you do. You'd be right if you somehow knew he was drawing. But he doesn't have to have a flush, set, or 2 pair (or in the 55 case 1 pair) very often at all to make the money you're throwing away with a turn raise overcome the marginal benefit of charging him an extra SB.