Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-30-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: Putting people on tilt....+e.v?? really bad etiqutte? or who cares??

i'll chalk that up to bad etiquette.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Putting people on tilt....+e.v?? really bad etiqutte? or who cares??

This post put me on tilt.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:33 PM

Default Re: Putting people on tilt....+e.v?? really bad etiqutte? or who cares

[ QUOTE ]
Any person who attempts to deride a human being because of the way he plays poker, in the name of making money, is a despicable person.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Surely if someone at your table is steaming you'll gladly take his money. Its a weakness in his game and its your job to exploit it. Why draw the line at exploiting people who are already tilting? If you know you could put a guy on tilt with a couple choice words after you 2-out him, how is this so totally different from taking his money once he's already tilting? Especially online where if they don't want to hear it they can simply turn off the chat, I think a little self-interested table talk is totally legit. I generally follow the rule of only trash-talking people who are making some noise themselves, but I consider even that a matter of taste rather than ethics (and also a matter of picking your battles, most of the people who don't talk don't care if you do).
Old 09-30-2005, 03:34 PM

That's just awful.

Most of these folks can put themselves on tilt just fine all by themselves. There is nothing good that can come from you trying to needle them more, either from a metagame standpoint or how you (or others) think about you.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:35 PM

in general it is not good to do. and it makes some opponents play better. however, if the guy is a real jerk.....

having said that, i have been known to hit people at the table, and last year i broke some real ass's jaw. so maybe my advice on this subject should not be followed.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:35 PM

I don't think your comment was out of line. I've used the same or similar against this type of mouthy opponent.
My favorite comment, however, when I know I'm on my last orbit in a tight game is: "This game is so tight, it reminds me of when I was a virgin." Can't remember it ever loosening up the game, however, it let's out the frustration of having been unable to find a good game.
Old 09-30-2005, 03:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
in general it is not good to do. and it makes some opponents play better. however, if the guy is a real jerk.....

having said that, i have been known to hit people at the table, and last year i broke some real ass's jaw. so maybe my advice on this subject should not be followed.

[/ QUOTE ]

2+2 Cell Block D REPRESENT!
Old 09-30-2005, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
......i have been known to hit people at the table, and last year i broke some real ass's jaw....

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll bet that was a -EV play on your part.
Old 09-30-2005, 04:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Any person who attempts to deride a human being because of the way he plays poker, in the name of making money, is a despicable person.

[/ QUOTE ]
Really? Surely if someone at your table is steaming you'll gladly take his money. Its a weakness in his game and its your job to exploit it. Why draw the line at exploiting people who are already tilting? If you know you could put a guy on tilt with a couple choice words after you 2-out him, how is this so totally different from taking his money once he's already tilting? Especially online where if they don't want to hear it they can simply turn off the chat, I think a little self-interested table talk is totally legit. I generally follow the rule of only trash-talking people who are making some noise themselves, but I consider even that a matter of taste rather than ethics (and also a matter of picking your battles, most of the people who don't talk don't care if you do).

[/ QUOTE ]

forest, trees, meet ike.

"any attempt to DERIDE a HUMAN BEING...etc."

this is totally seperate from taking a tilting person's money.

HOWEVER, given those morals, dougie, do you stop (at a live table) somebody from being derided. no such thing as innocent bystanders. if you dont speak up when somebody is being made fun of, then you can't justify not deriding the person initially, right?

Barron
Old 09-30-2005, 04:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

do you SEE what happens when you have so much pent up agression from playing sooooo tight?

Barron