Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-2005, 02:48 PM

Default Re: Rag war...

Did the auto-fold to any bet button dissapear from your screen? check and fold man.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
bet-folding

[/ QUOTE ]

Check-folding here is pretty bad, IMO. If you're going to continue to try to steal this on the turn I think you have to follow through on the river, no matter what card falls.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assumed that the ace rivering likely decreased my fold equity, since there are now fewer better hands which are going to fold.
Old 05-19-2005, 02:58 PM

I like to bet a lot of these type of flops. You're getting decent odds on taking it down right there. The only caveat is that I often like to have some read on my opponents. If the guy has a 90%VPIP and goes to showdown 40% of the time, I'm a lot less likely to try it since the flop is reasonably likely to hit him, plus I'll get called by some hands I am actually ahead of, which puts me in a very weird situation on the turn, when I'd really like to just give up.

Given no reads, but your foe open-limped in the cutoff, I'd be more apt just to give up without taking a stab.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:12 PM

No no - I meant check / folding the flop. Sorry about that.
Old 05-19-2005, 03:14 PM

Yes it was a typo - I meant check/fold.
Old 05-19-2005, 04:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No no - I meant check / folding the flop. Sorry about that.

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a good line too! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Adam
Old 05-19-2005, 04:04 PM

Location: For the love of God and all that is holy, MY ANUS IS BLEEDING!

[ QUOTE ]
Did the auto-fold to any bet button dissapear from your screen? check and fold man.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 05-19-2005, 05:11 PM

I make this flop bet sometimes. In this case, if I did bet, part of my thinking would be that I quite possibly have the best hand. Still, I guess in a way I might as well have 8 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 4 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], since I'm not calling a raise and I don't really expect my unknown opponent to check behind on both of the big streets if he calls the flop. The king does have a little showdown value, though.

I don't like it when I'm called on the flop. I think check-folding the turn is something to consider. But I don't really mind your turn bet. Maybe CO will now decide you actually have a pair and fold his weak ace or something. Unfortunately, though, I think there's a good chance at this point that your opponent has a small pocket pair or some piece of the board.

On the river, I like the check-fold. One thing CO could have been hanging on with is a wheel draw, and if that's the case, he's certainly not folding now. I don't think he's folding a small pair, either.

There is some chance CO has a busted flush draw, but I don't think there's enough of a chance that that's the case to check-call the river, partly because CO won't always bet a busted draw. And if by some chance he's been hanging around with overcards like QT or a straight draw with 65s and then bets his hand when checked to now, I guess that's how it goes.

In any event, these rag wars are certainly not the strongest part of my game. Sometimes I just check-fold on the flop, especially without a read, because I don't really like my hand very much, I worry about getting outplayed, and I don't always feel like bothering to fight for the very small pot.
Old 05-19-2005, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With no read, I'll often just let these ones go early.

[/ QUOTE ]
This coming from the guy who plays K5 like the nutz!!!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

..... ohh wait... yours were soooooooooted!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 05-19-2005, 09:26 PM

*bump* Shameless plug to hear more on this topic...