Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-06-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: What does it take to win an MTT?

I won a $5 rebuy on stars the other day. There were like 1000 players!!

Should i quit my job and become a pro?
Old 06-06-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hmmm. As opposed to your reply, that suggests that waiting for premium hands is not the best MTT strategy? Didn't read that one in this thread yet... especially put in so many unnecesary words.

[/ QUOTE ]

point taken regarding the unnecessary judgmental nature of my opening, so i deleted it.

However, "waiting for premium hands", taken as an unqualified statement (as presented), is NOT the best tournament strategy. If you do not play poker with lesser holdings, then you are guaranteed to leave the tourney well short of the significant money. I leave open the possibility that you have more to say on the strategy of just waiting for premium hands, but in the interest of economy of words, decided not to elaborate.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:07 PM

I find that being ready and willing to take coinflips helps greatly. I thought I would never win one, but I had my first win last night and it felt great. Just be willing to take risks and don't play scared. That leads to success.
Old 06-06-2005, 02:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In the last 4 tournaments that I've made it ITM, the hands that have knocked me out, or left me severly crippled are: AA, KK twice, and QQ.
My last bubble finish, I was left severly crippled after I flopped 3 Ks and lost to a flush. This coming after I had held the chip lead in the tournament twice.
My question is this: Am I doing something wrong, or is this pretty par for the course? I'm still looking for my first win, but it's extremely frustrating when the hands that should put you at the final table are the ones taking all of your chips.
Is this a normal pnenomenon?

Thanks

[/ QUOTE ]

Play stratego instead, less variance. Have you studied poker at all man?
~Justin
Old 06-06-2005, 02:17 PM

Thanks to those who gave serious replies.

First of all, in all for situations when I lost we these hands, I wasn't short-stacked. In fact, 3 of the 4 hands, I still had chips left after taking the beats, but just wasn't able to recover. I have read the hundreds of posts referring to bubble, mid, and late stage play, and I apply those techniques with enough success that either I bust out before the bubble, or I make it in the money with a sufficient stack to make a run at the final table. I also agree that it is difficult to mis-play AA, KK, or QQ, and in all 4 cases, either I or my opponent was all-in PF.

What I was actually trying to find out from those that have won and are successful MTTers is whether or not this is typical of them as well. Do you go deep ITM when these hands hold up, and flounder just ITM when these types of hands get cracked.

Thanks
Old 06-06-2005, 02:18 PM

Seriously stop you're killing me here. Go buy a pattern mapper on ebay and you wont have anything to worry about.
~Justin
Old 06-06-2005, 02:52 PM

wtf is w/ this forum recently...posts like these just put me on tilt...

are you serious? you're asking if successful mtt'ers go deeper once they double up or bust if they get cracked? you can't figure this one out for yourself?!
Old 06-06-2005, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
However, "waiting for premium hands", taken as an unqualified statement (as presented), is NOT the best tournament strategy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it's not the best strategy. It's far from being the best strategy. That's what I said in a post above, only in a different manner. I just commented that you are repeating things that have been already mentioned in previous replies here, right after calling the same replies "useless". That's all.
Old 06-06-2005, 04:33 PM

Mea culpa. I only read the 1st four posts, made an assumption about the others, and then went on my merry way. Lesson learned.
Old 06-06-2005, 06:38 PM

Default What does it take to get some encouragment?

I can not believe how people are treated on this forum. The response that I was hoping to get was something along the lines of: "Hey man, it's happened to the best of us. Keep learning. Keep applying the techniques posted here. Keep making the right moves, and when your cards hold up, you'll go deep."

I hope when I have hundreds or even thousands of posts, I can come up with something more constructive to say than: "You've made another idotic post, and gotten stupid responses to your idiotic post."

I'd like to suggest a book to add to your poker library. It's called "How to win friends and influence people". Maybe if you did a search for it on Ebay, you could find it real cheap.