Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-01-2004, 03:47 AM

Default Re: I want the TRUTH

And even 10,000 hands is really a drop in the bucket.

That's one of those things, though, that's much easier to understand abstractly than recall when your results are getting shot into the toilet over a prolonged period.

I'm hoping that by 200,000 hands I'll have that under better control. [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] But I'm not counting on it.
Old 10-01-2004, 04:58 AM

the dude *wins* money in a month and is complaining!

Give the $287 to charity, you whingebag.

Regards,
Pete Harris
Old 10-01-2004, 06:10 AM

"You have the mistaken idea that you deserve to win serious money every month."

Yes I do.!!! That's just the point. I have spread my risk out so much. I consider multitabling as an investor considers diversifying his portfolio. You don't put all your eggs in one basket. I don't rely on one individual session; this is the reason why I multitable. I spread all that risk around.

"You MUST accept that brutal reality or you will be miserable intermittently for the rest of your life."

I do accept the brutal reality, but I guess its just harder to comprehend when I mulitable rather than when I play one game for one month during each session. The reason for this post is also because all we hear about all the time or at least what I hear about all the time is the GLAMOUR, but in honesty as I keep playing this game, No one admits they ever play badly or run badly. I want to know the truth behind it. There is that truth out there, I know it is. I want to hear from the rest of the community how they deal with it.

In all honesty Dr. Al, when I run bad I sometimes welcome it. I welcome it for all types of reasons and after coming off a terrible run of cards, I honestly sometimes sit here and smile because......

#1. It makes me work on my game all that much more.

#2. It makes me tougher emotionally and mentally when I have to figure out ways to deal with the downswings rather than bitch and moan like I am now.

#3. If it happens to me, I know damn well it had to or definitley will happen to you. Who is stronger in dealing with it mentally? Me or you? This this the one question that by asking myself will make me stronger(mentally emotionally)

I guess why I'm so upset is that I have played between 30,000 and 40,000 hands this month and expected better results than this. I guess why I'm also upset is that the first week of this month I was up $2000 and figured the trend would only increase since I was spreading out the risk, but obviously I was wrong. Maybe I need a better lesson in statistics.

Maybe I think I play very well, but in fact I don't!!!

Maybe I should just take it for what it is. "Something I'll never be able to control."
Old 10-01-2004, 06:12 AM

No I keep it seperate because I don't necessarily count it as BB won or BB lost, I will still record it as a positive in StatKing but not along these lines.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:14 AM

"Well, Lou Kreiger has done experiments with Wilson software and the results imply you could play for around 4000 hours perfectly and still not make any money. So maybe 107 hours is not that big a deal."

Thanks for the input, as I mentioned to Dr. Al. Maybe I do need a better understanding of statistics. Can you refer me to this article is there a link. Thanks.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:19 AM

"If you have enough experience to know that you are
as good as you say, then you have had worse months
than you write about.

I guarantee it."

I have had worse months, but not when multitabling on the internet between 4 and 7 tables.

"If you can't handle making money, try something else."

I come from the train of thought that I should be making more money, but I obviously I was disillusioned by this misconception. I won't be disillusioned again.

"Also, playing "5-7 tables multi-table" is tough as
hell, if you can make money that way you would be
awesome playing only three."

I don't believe it is that tough, I'm able to devote my attention to all of them especially because I don't play very many hands and am able to follow the action.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:24 AM

"Fun game, isn't it?"

I love it.

"No one complains during the winning runs."

Of course they don't everything is happy go lucky why would you want something negative to come into your mind when you're up so much. Why would I ever want to be referenced to this month when I have a month like I will in the future?

"Even as many miss bets all over the place during them."

If I can count the amount of bets missed when I was running very well.... I'd have a pretty penny.

"But it's the losing runs that are the test of just how good you are."

You damn right they are.

Bernie thats for posting. You are an asset to the 2+2 community.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:26 AM

"If you want some therapy, start reading the HUSH forum. 100BB downswings are standard for us. A 200BB downswing will happen if you play long enough, and a couple players have even been hit for 300BB. One of the best players in the forum even showed a loss over 10,000 hands."

Thanks Scott. At the present time I'm taking an Econmetrics Course which is basically a step up from Statistics, hopefully by the end of this sememster I'll be able to devote some more time to Statistical Study so I know what to expect.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:26 AM

Between 30 and 40K.
Old 10-01-2004, 06:46 AM

Before reading ANY responses, let me tell you that you do not play as well as you believe if you play fairly regularly and still ended up with this result at the end of the month.