Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-07-2005, 06:37 PM

Default Re: Mucking AK

TPTK is a solid, vulnerabel hand, I prefer to keep the pot small unless I have a solid read on villain's holding.

Who wants to make a call with TPTK for half their stack on the river?
Old 12-07-2005, 06:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Check the turn, call the river

[/ QUOTE ]

On this board, I take this line most often. Sometimes, of course, I take your line, but you have to fold to the c/r unless the guy's a maniac or whatever. There just aren't that many bluffs/semi-bluffs that make sense, and since your play looks like AK most people at this level won't try and bluff you off it.
Old 12-07-2005, 06:43 PM

I look at it like this...if you *NEVER* took a big risk (i.e. getting stacked off) with TPTK you're playing too conservatively, but with that being said, I pick my spots very carefully when putting a lot of money at risk (or at least I do now [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ).

J
Old 12-07-2005, 06:49 PM

checking the turn could be a good play. there is a stright draw, but it's less likely that someone has that. checking the turn controls the pot size and induces river bets from hands that you're beating.

as played, you have to fold to the check-raise.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I look at it like this...if you *NEVER* took a big risk (i.e. getting stacked off) with TPTK you're playing too conservatively, but with that being said, I pick my spots very carefully when putting a lot of money at risk (or at least I do now [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img] ).

J

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. Two examples:

1) You are preflop raiser and get one caller who is a typical Party player (not a TAG, but not a total donk). Flop is A93 I will be more than happy to build up a nice juicy pot.

Example 2) You are preflop raiser UTG+1 and get three callers (typical Party players). Flop is AQ6r. You lead 2/3 pot, 1 fold, next villain raises 3x your bet, last villain calls. If you don't fold here you are probably spewing chips.