Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro-Limits
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 06:52 PM

Default Re: AJo....how did I play this??

[ QUOTE ]
I don't understand how you can be in the small blind on your first hand

[/ QUOTE ]

This may be the best first post eh-VAH!
Old 12-06-2005, 07:31 PM

For me I don't like the pre flop raise.

The flop I would of just called his raise and if a K or Q showed up on the turn consider betting fold to a raise or check/folding the river. If a blank hit like it did. I would check/raise. This provides more protection than the re raise on the flop.

Just my .02

Cheers
Old 12-06-2005, 07:37 PM

Forgive my disagreement but I've got concerns here.

I flat out don't like the AJo raise pre-flop. That's a simple pot equity from the small blind opinion. Take it as you will.

Now here's the real issue. What does leading out with that flop bet achieve? Anyone with 4 decent outs is bound to call the raise. Our hero is in the worst possibe position at the table for this hand. 5 opponents who presumably had playable hands are down the line. It is unlikely that none of them will draw out and beat those Jacks. He has but 5 outs to improve. I say check the turn to let the field indicate strength. An early bet can be called to leave things equal. A late bet can be raised to eliminate draws. No bet is unlikely. This turn bet is only an invitation to better pot odds for the draws. Check the turn with the intention of reraising a bet from late position.

Betting into these fields with a pair of Jacks and a raised pot will cost you in the long run.
Old 12-06-2005, 08:02 PM

(Grunch)

I really am not a fan of AJo and I hate playing it out of SB especially. I know it's a premium hand and all, I forget what SSHE says to do with this hand in SB but I know I normally raise with it everywhere but the blinds. It's just sticky to play post flop.

However, with the way you played it, the flop three-bet was good. You have top pair with an overcard kicker. You're extracting bets from anyone on a straight draw, which misses on the turn, so I like that bet as well. River looks good!
Old 12-06-2005, 08:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
(Grunch)

You're extracting bets from anyone on a straight draw

[/ QUOTE ]

Extracting bets in a pot with enough draws to beat you most of the time. Extracting bets and offering cheap cards to build strong hands. Check that flop...unless I'm drawing down the line!