Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 10:36 PM

Default Re: Best Vegas Daily NLHE Tourneys?

The Orleans sucks, plain and simple. They have a nice room, but their 300 in chips with 15/30 blinds isn't that great when compared to the Sahara or even the Aladdin's 25/25 starting with 1500 in chips.

Orleans is an all-in fest for the first hour thanks to unlimited rebuys in most of their games. Its great for the prize pool, but whether it's 90 players or 180 players, it's final table only that gets paid.

The house takes 3% for "tournament staff" and when people bust, they usually head for the good ole 2/4 games. Very little no limit games get running, if any.

I prefer the Sahara as you can actually call ahead during the day to reserve your spot. Plus, when you bust out, they usually have a NL game forming with NO MAX buy in. Most guys do the 50 or $100 buy-in and play till their broke.
Old 01-11-2005, 11:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
and no "hostage" on part of prize pool

I'm not hip to this lingo. Can you please explain what this means? [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Someone told me that at the end of the Binion's tourney, they are claiming they have a "drawing" for money. You must be present to win, the drawing occurs after the tourney you just played in, you can only qualify if you played in the tourney, and when asked, the staff admitted that the money came out of the prize pool of the tourney that just occurred.

http://ftrain.blogspot.com/2004/12/vegas-day-2.html

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 11:17 PM

I have to agree. The Orleans have never been my cup of tea, though I won 7k from an Omaha 8 tourney (another story). I shouldn't rag on them, but dang, their prize pools just don't seem to add up, even discounting the juice, which they most begrudgingly tell you. I think the juice is up to $7 or $8, at least, the last time I got a plain answer.

Sahara charges a lot of juice, too. Like $12 on their tourney, but at least the prize pool always seems to add up, Steve will show you the payout sheet, and you can call in advance. Little things count with me, and Sahara has always been on the plus side of the "little things."

Aladdin seems to be rocking the Vegas scene lately. Go check it out, if you have 30 minutes to park and walk to the poker room, lol. They get my "longest walk from garage to poker room" award.

Felicia [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 01-11-2005, 11:26 PM

The Aladdin is decent. The dealers are still mostly break-ins with a few exceptions. I played today in the 1pm game and it was done by 430pm. Only 39 players and paid out top 6, but I have seen as much as 70 or so players.

This rooms motto is "If you build it, they will come". Seriously. Instead of waiting for 50 names on a list to open a game, they open one with 4 or 5 players and they fill. No lines no waiting unless its a weekend. 8 live games were going this afternoon. 2/4's and 1/2 NL games with interest lists for others. Pretty much half or more of the players that bust out head right to the cash games. Whereas the Sahara might get 1 or 2 tables worth out of 100+ players in a tourney.
Old 01-12-2005, 01:22 AM

too Many to mention but always figure the Juice.

which can be ridiculiously high at most places.

check CardPlayer.com or pick up a Poker Player news Magazine when you hit town. they are free at the palms and other places around town.

Poker player Tourney editor Joel Gausten Might e mail you the schedual from jgausten@gamblingtimes.com

timmer
Old 01-12-2005, 05:07 AM

what time does the Aladdin tourny start and whats the buy in ? i kinda want to play in it now.