Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 02:17 PM

Default Re: Oahu, Hawaii Vacation?

I was just in Hawaii, but I skipped Oahu completely. Maui and The Big Island were awesome.
Old 11-02-2005, 02:25 PM

Eat at Roy's. It is a chain now, but the original is in Oahu, and it is very good. About $30 per person with the menu changing nightly, euro-asian style food, and great fresh fish.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't forget your SPF 100 and lambskin condoms.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got back from lunch with afternoon caffine fix in hand and spit my coffee after reading this.

Thx for remembering my I am an Irish white boy and having trouble getting off with this piece of plastic on my junk post.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Looking forward to this so far trip is $603 for each plane ticket and $149 to stay in our time share for 9 days.

Not bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am so freaking jealous it is not funny. I hope you guys have a wonderful time. Walk around Waikiki at night, it is fun. (don't swim at night though, sharks!)

[/ QUOTE ]

Thx [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sharks huh how much of a concern are the sharks there.

We just got back from Costa Rica in May. How comparable (sp?) is the tropical scene.

If you haven't been to Coasta Rica it is frigin awsome.I loved it, Cant wait to go back.

One of the best parts are watching the monkeys on the beach jumping around from tree to tree.

Your not seeing that [censored] in New Jersey.
Old 11-02-2005, 04:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Hanauma Bay Park - early in the morning, try to get there before 8:30 because of the lines. Get your snorkel equipment from Snorkel Bob's the day before (don't worry it's cheap) - definitely worth it if you go early.

2. Spend a day on the north shore. Drive around the island.

3. Pearl Harbor is boring. The Arizona Memorial in particular. (I've been told the USS Missouri is a good tour)

4. The Pali lookout is one of my favorite spots on this planet. Definitely park and walk around it for a few minutes!

5. Germaines' Luau - Very very commercialized. Only do this if you have a good sense of humor or are very stoned.

[/ QUOTE ]

I live on Oahu (when not in school).. this list is pretty good.

ADD: Waikiki or Ala Moana Beach park (touristy), Kailua Beach park (not touristy). Rent a jetski (Waikiki) or kayak (Kailua)

If you like hiking, might try Diamond head (extinct volcano), where you hike to the top

Horseback riding at Kualoa Ranch. Check out Chinaman's hat while there

Definetaly definetaly walk the "strip" at waikiki at night. Get the whole touristy experience

As for night clubs, my favorite is Zanzibar at the Waikiki trade center

don't forget sea life park
Old 11-02-2005, 04:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I was just in Hawaii, but I skipped Oahu completely. Maui and The Big Island were awesome.

[/ QUOTE ]

these are more scenic islands, but less to do compared to oahu
Old 11-02-2005, 04:50 PM

Was just there in May with my girlfriend and her parents. (Yeah, they bought. My life sucks. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img])

We surveyed the Dole Plantation which was kinda cool. We didn't do the Polynesian Cultural Center on the East coast of the island but we heard it's a MUST. We did enjoy driving up the East of the island. Beautiful drive (We stayed at Turtle Bay way up on North tip of island).

But Honolulu, and Pearl Harbor are both on the South. Dole farm is in middle.

I reccommend North Shore as well as Waimea Bay beach (next to North Shore). And check out Waimea Falls, it's a nature sanctuary that you can walk around in (pretty flowers, trees, peacocks, birds, etc.) and the best part is at the end there is a waterfall (Waimea Falls), you can swim in this small, intimate lake with a waterfall. Very cool. I think it was like $12 a head to get in, and well worth it.

Don't listen to the people who say Maui is better. It's more "Americanized." You'll appreciate the more indiginous feel of Oahu. Obviously if you can afford it do both, but you'll love Oahu just as well.

Have fun! If I ever make enough money on the internet playing P*k*r, I'd definitely move there!
Old 11-02-2005, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Thx [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Sharks huh how much of a concern are the sharks there.

We just got back from Costa Rica in May. How comparable (sp?) is the tropical scene.

If you haven't been to Coasta Rica it is frigin awsome.I loved it, Cant wait to go back.

One of the best parts are watching the monkeys on the beach jumping around from tree to tree.

Your not seeing that [censored] in New Jersey.

[/ QUOTE ]

ain't no sharks on Oahu that you should be worried about.

Honolulu, O`ahu = San Jose, Costa Rica.
Old 11-02-2005, 05:05 PM

Check out the Pali lookout. Though I haven't actually done it I've always wanted to do the Stairway to Heaven, basically a set of stairs that goes up the side of the mountain. It looks amazing from the H3 but the wife is scared of heights so I'll have to go with her brother on a future trip. Both are fairly near each other, but I'm actually not sure where the stairway to heaven actually begins.

If you like museums check out the Bishop Museum. It's an excellent museum with several old Hawaiian artifacts including the cape of Kamehameha I. I would also reccomend Iolani palace, the only royal palace in the US. Both are in Honolulu.

North Shore is pretty nice. I've not been in November so I don't know about the surf (the ocean is like glass in the summer and has huge waves in the winter not sure about now, I would guess it will be big but not huge). If there is reasonable surf you can watch people surfing, if it's flat the snorkeling is good especially around three tables and sharks cove. Hale'iwa town is nice. It's sort of a touristy/surfing town. There are lots of small shops and it's famous for shave ice. Of the two big places I would suggest Aoki's unless the line at Matsumotos is short, Matsumotos is probably a it better but the line is normally very long and Aoki's is also very good. I would also highly reccomend going to the Haleiwa cafe for breakfast. Get "off the lip" with portuguese sausaage (sp?) if you can't decide.

If you want souvenirs it's probably best to get them at the swap meet. The swap meet is at Aloha Stadium on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You can find plenty of cheap souvenirs, seat covers and that type of stuff.

Make sure to bring and constantly reapply sunscreen. The first time I went I was snorkeling and despite my girlfriend's suggestion failed to reapply sunscreen after. My back was a nice purple and I couldn't lay on it without it hurting like hell. To make matters worse every time she suggests something and I say it's not necesary this gets brought up [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 11-02-2005, 05:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Stairway to Heaven
Bishop Museum.
if it's flat the snorkeling is good especially around three tables and sharks cove.
I would suggest Aoki's unless the line at Matsumotos is short

[/ QUOTE ]
all good choices. in town, Waiolas for shave ice, no other option.

[ QUOTE ]
If you want souvenirs it's probably best to get them at the swap meet. The swap meet is at Aloha Stadium on Wednesdays and Saturdays. You can find plenty of cheap souvenirs, seat covers and that type of stuff.

[/ QUOTE ]
borderline. . .cheapo souvenirs.
[ QUOTE ]

Make sure to bring and constantly reapply sunscreen.

[/ QUOTE ]
Just do what you did while in Costa.

On a side note, I'll be going back for Christmas-New Year's and am getting excited reading this. I'll try to keep coming up w/good eating spots when this thread gets bumped up.