Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-11-2005, 03:24 PM

Default Re: Next gen SnG tracker: brainstorm?

[ QUOTE ]
Breaking it down by # players is important, but it should also break it down by stack size:big blind ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to expand this idea to say any program should be based on dimensionless parameters like this any time it is at all possible. Even if the quantity is a bit of a stretch, it is probably better than the raw numbers. I think "bet size/stack size" and "bet size/BB" would be useful quantities, which one depending on situation. Number of players is dimensionless (right?) so it could end up in those quantities too.

Sam
Old 01-11-2005, 09:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Breaking it down by # players is important, but it should also break it down by stack size:big blind ratio.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd like to expand this idea to say any program should be based on dimensionless parameters like this any time it is at all possible. Even if the quantity is a bit of a stretch, it is probably better than the raw numbers. I think "bet size/stack size" and "bet size/BB" would be useful quantities, which one depending on situation. Number of players is dimensionless (right?) so it could end up in those quantities too.

Sam

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be in an engineering program at Berkeley. And no, # players is not dimensionless (it has units of # people, of course), but fraction of players remainig is one way to nondimensionalize it.

eastbay
Old 01-12-2005, 01:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
You must be in an engineering program at Berkeley.

[/ QUOTE ]

Nice read. I am also a demonstration that smart people make terrible poker players until they quit outsmarting themselves.

[ QUOTE ]
And no, # players is not dimensionless (it has units of # people, of course), but fraction of players remainig is one way to nondimensionalize it.

eastbay

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, well, I won't argue that point on the grounds of irrelevance, but now I have more questions...

Are we only using this for 10-player STT's, which is all I ever play and pretty much the only thing anyone discusses here? If not, does anybody have an educated opinion as to whether or not players behave similarly in other tournament structures? I'm starting to think any calc involving the number of players has to be specific to 10-player STT's because of how players act in response to how long they've been playing, how many people they've seen go out, how close they are to money, and so on.

Sam