Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-19-2005, 02:08 PM

Default Re: Leading into PFR w/ flopped sets?

[ QUOTE ]
Button doesn't have to have anything here. There's already half his bet in the pot before he makes it, and he's got position on all y'all. Does he normally raise to 5? My guess is this is a slight overbet for him, correct?

If he's as aggressive on the flop as this raise makes him out to be, check raise him every time. If you lead out I'd suspect that 80%+ of the time you get nothing more. I think it's worth the relatively slight risk that he has KJ or K10 and is on a gutshot.

I can't believe anyone would really bet out to guard against that, really. Say he checks behind maybe half the time, which is probably more than he actually will - even IF a K or J falls on the turn, his hand range makes it very unlikely that it improved him to a straight, and EVEN THEN, you're still drawing live. I bet you could whittle 300 bars of soap to resemble Jon Stewart before you got beat by a gutshot here.

Check raise. Maybe even check call if you know him well and think he'll fire a second barrel on the turn. But that could get tricky.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good points, although I think the main reason for leading here would be to build a pot and not to protect, that mainly is a bonus.

Correct me if I'm wrong: Also, if he hit, a check-raise from me probably indicates more strength than if I lead and call his raise, which will come if he hit the A. And I don't want to indicate too much strenght, do I?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
An ace and a queen hit and if your preflop raiser wasnt hit with flop you simply arent going to win a big pot anyway....

[/ QUOTE ]

Bingo. But I lead bigger at the flop. If he has an ace he'll probably play back at you.

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on jacks. Check-raise, then play accordingly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh?
Old 04-19-2005, 02:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i generally don't check-raise much. i lead a lot of flops specifically so that i can lead out with my big hands like this...

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm the same. Ideally I'd have been caught bluffing the hand before this turned up.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:18 PM

Kongo-

If I'm in Villain's shoes, my range of hands to raise in that spot is HUGE. I think he could literally have any 2. I would check-call this flop and look to get more money in on the turn if you think he'll fire a second barrel. The vast majority of the time Villain is drawing to 4 outs or less, so I wouldn't be too eager to blow him off his hand at this point. If he does have AK/AQ, I think you'll win a big pot even without leading into him.

KoW
Old 04-19-2005, 02:25 PM

I still like leading out at this pot for about 1/2 to 3/4 the pot. You're only in trouble to AA or QQ and if you're up against that you're going to lose a lot of chips on this hand.

If you check call a lot of cards can hit to complicate the hand. A king, jack, ten, or even an 8 could give him a straight if he was raising with a large suited connector. Yes you still have outs but why let him draw for cheap (or free if he checks behind).

If you check raise you gain a little extra from him if he bluffs with a gut shot draw or if he has nothing. Also if he has a smaller ace he probably folds when you check raise.

Leading into this hand gives you the chance to win a big pot when he reraises you with AK, AQ, and possibly AJ suited. Also if he had ace, rag suited he may reraise to see where he stands. Getting you more money than a check raise. I'd lead here and hope he plays back so I can win a big pot for all his chips, which will make up for the times you just win a small pot by leading out.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I still like leading out at this pot for about 1/2 to 3/4 the pot. You're only in trouble to AA or QQ and if you're up against that you're going to lose a lot of chips on this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

Correction- YOU SHOULD LOSE ALL OF YOUR CHIPS IN THIS HAND.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I'm in Villain's shoes, my range of hands to raise in that spot is HUGE. I think he could literally have any 2.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is his range so huge? Sure he raised in position, but this is not a tournament and I highly doublt he's looking for the blinds.

This is a flop where you can break him. If you check raise, you show a lot of strength and slow him down, killing your chance at a big pot vs AJ and the like. Sure, you can steal a few bucks IF he has a weak holding AND he bets, but I'm looking to take his stack. I don't mind taking down a small pot here when he has nothing if it means that I can win a huge pot when he has something.

I would lead out decently, maybe 6 ish. If he raises me, I call and checkraise the turn big. If he just calls, I check the turn to him to give him confidence in his hand. You want to conceal your hand in such a way that builds a big pot, and he does not expect you to lead then check with a monster here. He'll get confused, and you'll get rich.

-Kings
Old 04-19-2005, 02:38 PM

True, I can't see any way that all my chips don't go into this pot on the flop or the turn.
Old 04-19-2005, 02:57 PM

I'm all for a 1/2 pot lead on this flop.
If your opponent calls, then pot the turn regardless of what comes.
If your opponent makes a significant raise, go ahead and push.
If he minraises your flop bet he's likely weak, something less than TPGK. I'd tend to call, and lead out with a weak bet again on the turn, but I'm kinda up in the air about this one. Often the flop minraise is a last ditch shot, or an attempt to buy a freecard with a flush or an inside draw. Raising back on the flop will probably drop him, and checking the turn will too often lead to a check behind...
Old 04-19-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why is his range so huge?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because I'm in position against 3 random hands, one of which showed no aggression after it was folded to him. I would argue making a raise here in position with nearly any two is +EV just on the frequency of picking up the dead money.

Edit:
[ QUOTE ]
and I highly doublt he's looking for the blinds.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you doubt people are stealing blinds in cash games then you're either A) missing out on money you should be stealing or B) giving up to easily when you "highly doubt" someone is going after your blinds.

KoW