Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-09-2005, 06:56 PM

Default Re: gosh i just love top pair, don\'t you?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
short of a flopped boat or 5 i can't think of anything that would look you up here. maybe a stubborn AJ? AK got out a long time ago with that action.

nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it-you don't think she'll get looked up? Then what's the purpose of the bet if villain has a worse hand and won't call? Just check behind in that case.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is exactly the point, right? We're hoping villain thinks "if she just hit the ace on the river, she would check behind and hope to beat my jack. but she is pushing. she must have KQ! I call."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad thinking, as most players don't go this extra step. They don't think "nobody would make this bet with an ace-it would be valueless. So I call this bluff." Most players aren't aware that most valueless bets are indeed valueless-hence villain probably isn't aware that this can't be a value bet (though it is). Even if he is one of the few that understands this concept, he doesn't know you are also so he will just interpret your bet as being yet another moron thinking that they can bet their TPGK on the river and get called by a worse hand.
Either way, he's folding.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:56 PM

what i was trying to get at is that i don't see anything that you beat dropping out and i dont really think 99 or KJ or whatever is going to look you up thinking that a roughly potsized push is going to be 44/T9 or anything else. your current table image doesn't seem laggy enough to go that far given your description. (basically what FF said)

did he call?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

turn (260): 3

SB bets 175, MP calls, i make it 475. MP calls.

[/ QUOTE ]

rut-roh
Old 11-09-2005, 07:18 PM

I agree with you. But you can't have it both ways. In the Holdem thread that Duck references, a lot of people are saying "It is horrible if the guy folded KK here. You are so lucky he is so bad." and now in this thread you are saying "Of course he folds KK here."
Old 11-09-2005, 07:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you. But you can't have it both ways. In the Holdem thread that Duck references, a lot of people are saying "It is horrible if the guy folded KK here. You are so lucky he is so bad." and now in this thread you are saying "Of course he folds KK here."

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if this is the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the river I think that changes things, no?
Old 11-09-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
short of a flopped boat or 5 i can't think of anything that would look you up here. maybe a stubborn AJ? AK got out a long time ago with that action.

nh.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't get it-you don't think she'll get looked up? Then what's the purpose of the bet if villain has a worse hand and won't call? Just check behind in that case.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yes, this is exactly the point, right? We're hoping villain thinks "if she just hit the ace on the river, she would check behind and hope to beat my jack. but she is pushing. she must have KQ! I call."

[/ QUOTE ]

This is bad thinking, as most players don't go this extra step. They don't think "nobody would make this bet with an ace-it would be valueless. So I call this bluff." Most players aren't aware that most valueless bets are indeed valueless-hence villain probably isn't aware that this can't be a value bet (

[/ QUOTE ]

Knowing this is true in the Highlimits makes me feel very happy.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah if this is the A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] on the river I think that changes things, no?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. I like the play much better if its not a diamond.
Old 11-09-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know which thread you're referring to, so I have no clue if I'm being inconsistent. And if I didn't have an opinion in the referenced thread, I don't think I am trying to have it both ways as what everybody else said doesn't represent what I think. Link please?
Old 11-09-2005, 08:21 PM

linky
Old 11-09-2005, 09:01 PM

anyone think a push looks like it is trying to get a J off a chop or am i just making excuses now?