Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2005, 07:01 PM

Default Re: Guns > abortion clinics

[ QUOTE ]
The fact remains. You can buy a gun and hope never to use it against someone. (Not to mention guns used solely for sport)

A clinic would be a huge financial failure if they didn't cycle through the killing on a routine basis. They were truly designed and intended for multiple killings.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think this is necessarily true. I believe most abortion clinics serve other purposes - and weren't 'designed and intended' to host abortion clinics, but ended up serving that function after abortion providers bought the building from it's previous owners - or after doctors decided to provide abortions after the construction of the building, etc.

Given the amount of semantics involved, I think the bumper stick fails.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The fact remains. You can buy a gun and hope never to use it against someone. (Not to mention guns used solely for sport)

A clinic would be a huge financial failure if they didn't cycle through the killing on a routine basis. They were truly designed and intended for multiple killings.

[/ QUOTE ]
The fact remains that many people feel that what goes on in these clinics should not be defined as killing. However, If you feel that removal of a fetus is killing it or an act of murder then you are correct.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the amount of semantics involved, the bumper sticker would have to be written by a lawyer and 3 pages long to make you agree with it.

You know damn well what it's trying to say.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Given the amount of semantics involved, the bumper sticker would have to be written by a lawyer and 3 pages long to make you agree with it.

You know damn well what it's trying to say.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I do...but as I said, the "guns don't kill people, people don't kill people" cliché is intended to imply to the audience that people should be held responsible for their actions; in other words, don't try to place the blame on non-animate object for the bad things people do with them.

Similarly, an 'abortion clinic' is a relatively neutral place, except for the bad things people do inside of them.

In other words, do pro-lifers care about outlawing abortion clinics, or abortions? The bumper stick (when juxtaposed with the cliché it's a parody of) implies that pro-lifers merely wish to outlaw buildings or structures.

If you find nuance distasteful, I don’t know what to tell you. But it seems to be a rather silly bumper stick, IMO.

It doesn't take a lawyer and 3 pages for me to understand the wisdom of "guns don't kill people, people kill people." I think it's a cliche that's we can still invalidate (in regards to using it to justify an opposition to gun control laws - so in that way, it's still somewhat meaningless, like many cliches), but "Guns don't kill people, abortion clinics kill people" is just ironic, considering the cliche it's derived from.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
...should not be defined as killing

[/ QUOTE ]

Some people think self-defense should not be defined as killing. In fact, I would call it, [i]fulfilling the criminal's desire to attain a Darwin Award. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 10-07-2005, 07:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you find nuance distasteful, I don’t know what to tell you. But it seems to be a rather silly bumper stick, IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I find you requiring a bumper sticker to cover all the nuances distasteful. A retard should be able to figure out what it's trying to say.

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't take a lawyer and 3 pages for me to understand the wisdom of "guns don't kill people, people kill people."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already played your word game and changed my maxim. Get with the program.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I find you requiring a bumper sticker to cover all the nuances distasteful. A retard should be able to figure out what it's trying to say.

[ QUOTE ]
It doesn't take a lawyer and 3 pages for me to understand the wisdom of "guns don't kill people, people kill people."

[/ QUOTE ]

I've already played your word game and changed my maxim. Get with the program.

[/ QUOTE ]

The power of any bumper sticker, catch-phrase, tagline, etc. is to have both some elements of truth to it, and have some power of persuasion. I think the "guns don't kill people, abortion clinics kill people" might fulfill the second criteria, but it fails the first.

So, I understand what the bumper sticker is getting at, but I still think it's rather stupid. Pro-lifers clearly aren't against buildings, structures, bricks, mortar, nails, and roofs, but instead they're opposed to the actions which take place inside of said abortion clinics.
Old 10-07-2005, 07:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The power of any bumper sticker, catch-phrase, tagline, etc. is to have both some elements of truth to it, and have some power of persuasion. I think the "guns don't kill people, abortion clinics kill people" might fulfill the second criteria, but it fails the first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a grain of truth to it eh?

ok.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Not a grain of truth to it eh?

ok.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless you know of a poorly-constructed abortion clinic that collapsed and killed some inside, then no, I don't see truth to it.

Abortion clinics don't kill people, people kill people.
Old 10-07-2005, 08:57 PM

they should ban everything from everyone. ideally.

rj