Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-06-2005, 06:25 PM

Default Re: What are the best Kung-Fu/Martial Art movies?

Best single one on one fight scene, definitely best psychological fight scene ever: Bruce Lee vs. Chuck Norris in Return of the Dragon

Other goodies:

Recent:

Hero
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
House of Flying Daggers

Ong Bak, The Thai Warrior

Older:

Drunken Master, the first one, with Jackie Chan -- it's under many different titles; Columbia came out with a crisp and clear version that has an incredible commentary by two kung fu film buffs with lots of personal info on Jackie Chan and his real life upbringing, etc., really great. This is probably the most rewatchable kung fu movie I've ever seen. The ending fight scene with Jackie vs. the super kicker is very long and really extra great.

The Chinese Connection -- Bruce Lee. One great moment after another, and you can see why the Chinese cheered and leaped to their feet when they first saw this one. Probably the one that most made Lee a God in Asia. My favorite of the Lee films.

Once Upon a Time in China, I and II. III is a bit lesser.

Snake in the Eagle's Shadow -- another of Jackie Chan's earliest; great weapons play and superb athleticism from Jackie. Fight scenes filmed the way they should be, like American idiots still can't seem to figure out: with the camera well back and in long takes so you can see the people really move and let the action come from good fight choreography and great athletes instead of some schlub at an editing bay. Some achingly hot Chinese girls in here practically made me wanna cry.

The Leg Fighters -- just what it sounds like, some great kicking. A palpable sense of danger in the story.

The Flying I -- obscure old Shaw Brothers with one of my favorite kung fu stars, incredibly good kicker.

The Five Deadly Venoms -- old classic, with people doing weird styles. Great fun to watch, and the kind of truly evil bastard dudes that some of the old kung fu flicks do so well.

The Octagon -- a passably decent Chuck Norris film, most notable for the Japanese weapons master in it. When he's spinning his weapons around, it's worth sitting through the whole rest of the movie, easy. Too bad we didn't see a lot more of him in other movies, because he was really intense and compelling as hell.

Shaolin Wooden Men -- another good Jackie one. Jackie is a Shaolin student here and of course anything attempting to depict the legendary Shaolin wooden men is fascinating right out of the gate. Another one with really good villains.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Recent:

Hero
Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
House of Flying Daggers

[/ QUOTE ]

I wouldn't classify these as kung-fu per se, more like moving works of art. Chinese visual drama? Dunno, but I'm convinced it's not kung-fu.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:42 PM

Fist of Legend.

It's the American title for an old school Jet Li film, which was a remake of Bruce Lee's "Chinese Connection"
Old 11-06-2005, 06:56 PM

I agree with your high estimation of them, but without the kung fu nobody would have seen them, and they wouldn't even have gotten made. They're kung fu flicks all right.
Old 11-06-2005, 06:59 PM

Bloodsport will always be a classic.

Adam
Old 11-06-2005, 07:06 PM

Anything with Donnie Yen or Jet Li will probably satisfy. The early 90's films with these two are fairly decent quality and really good kung fu.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:09 PM

also "best of the best"
Old 11-06-2005, 07:21 PM

Donnie Yen always does good stuff.
Old 11-06-2005, 07:25 PM

Enter the Dragon.

Regards,
Woodguy
Old 11-06-2005, 08:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Seven Samurai

[/ QUOTE ]

I would not call this a Kung Fu movie. Anyways:

Master Killer (The 36th Chamber of Shaolin) This movie is excellent. I love it. I somehow found the .avi online a year ago. I still have it, great flick.

Shogun Assassin: This is a big compilation of the Lone Wolf & Cub series. It doesn't have much of a storyline due to this, but it's still pretty good.