Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-19-2003, 05:08 PM

Default Re: If you can\'t beat \'em, please don\'t \"think\" like \'em.

If you think your opponent has trip 3's, you should fold on 4th street. I have no doubts about that. It's not worth drawing so slim in such a small pot.
Old 08-20-2003, 09:12 AM

Default Response to various opinions and questions.

Hello Everyone:

First, I would like to thank all of you for reading and offering your thoughts. So far, the various feelings about the hand have been quite interesting.

Crash, I do not recall whether the 4's or 10's were live at fourth street, but I do know Mr. 4 10 had, at most, a pair of 4's, and already was staring at a paired door card, and a full $40 bet.

For those of you who pointed out that if Mr. 4 10 somehow KNEW the cards being held by Mr. 3 3, then his calls would have been correct, I only can ask whether you, sitting in his seat -- holding, at best, a pair of 4's, no threatening cards on board, and facing a full bet from a paired door card -- would have been able to say to yourself "I KNOW he has nothing more than a pair of 3's, and I KNOW that at the river (with NO MORE cards to come), when I STILL am holding NOTHING MORE than a pair of 4's, I am going to be able to make an unbelievable call, and win the pot over his unimproved 3's.(?)"

When answering this question, please be reasonable.

Many thanks in advance.
Old 08-20-2003, 03:34 PM

Default Re: Response to various opinions and questions.

[ QUOTE ]
"I KNOW he has nothing more than a pair of 3's, and I KNOW that at the river (with NO MORE cards to come), when I STILL am holding NOTHING MORE than a pair of 4's, I am going to be able to make an unbelievable call, and win the pot over his unimproved 3's.(?)"

[/ QUOTE ]

You don't have to KNOW. You only need to be right a certain % of the time. I don't think that % is very high and is definitely below 50%.

Again, your problem is that you are thinking of the static value of a pair of 4's rather than their relative value. Would you have folded (A,x)A,T when your opponent paired his doorcard 3? If no, then why are you folding 4's?
Old 08-21-2003, 08:50 AM

Default Re: Response to various opinions and questions.

This seems to me to be exactly the kind of thing ive talked about in the post above "Crazy Players".

It would be interesting to know if the player who called with the 4s did similar strange calls/raises quite often and won?

It seems to me these guys have an anything can and does win attitude. Ive been trying to figure them out for a while now.....but ultimately it has cost me too much money!!