Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Theory
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-24-2005, 10:51 AM

Default Re: ATo is making me sick.

In limit holdem, the earlier advice has merit. In NL, this is a definate trouble hand. I would only play it in a steal attempt. Otherwise it's an easy fold.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:08 PM

Echoing everyone else, you're probably not folding enough with it.

Preflop, I'd call with this hand or maybe raise to steal if I was late. But if anyone's representing a decent hand, you have to be willing to fold it after the flop.
Old 10-24-2005, 02:16 PM

AT is pretty marginal in all but the latest positions. Its a hand that is subject to easy domination and it is hard to fill a straight from it. I only like it in the last 2 or 3 seats and then only for a limp or steal and never against a raise.

Just play it less and later and you should see the stats improve.
Old 10-24-2005, 03:59 PM

Default Now what about those low pocket pairs?

Another aspect of my game is a large gain that I have on pocket pairs 22 through 77. I only play these hands in the blinds or late position when 4+ limped in before me. (Low stakes NL by the way.) However, I'm near break even or show a loss on a few higher pairs such as 88, 99, and jj.

Could this mean that I'm playing the lower pairs just right, and the higher pairs too much?

I have a few books on the way that will probaly answer these questions, but I'm impatient [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 10-24-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Now what about those low pocket pairs?

Can you quote your sample size as well, please?
Old 10-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Now what about those low pocket pairs?

[ QUOTE ]
Another aspect of my game is a large gain that I have on pocket pairs 22 through 77. I only play these hands in the blinds or late position when 4+ limped in before me. (Low stakes NL by the way.) However, I'm near break even or show a loss on a few higher pairs such as 88, 99, and jj.

Could this mean that I'm playing the lower pairs just right, and the higher pairs too much?

I have a few books on the way that will probaly answer these questions, but I'm impatient [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

With the lower pocket pairs, you are probably folding on the Flop, without hesitation, when you don't get a set. They are also good steal hands in late position, i.e. 22 on the Button, 33 in the Cutoff, 44 in the Hijack seat. If, an open/raise, after everyone in front of you has folded, and, you believe an open raise will get you heads up or two max opponents, if not steal the blinds.

You'd have to tell me more about how you play 88-JJ.
Old 10-24-2005, 04:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hello. I've been reading the forums for about a month now. I was wondering if anyone could elaborate on why A10o is consistantly at the bottom of my poker tracker list when it comes to the Net loss I have on the hand. I keep a different database for the 6 sites I play on. About 30k hands total and A10o is always near the bottom!

The hand treats me so bad that I've made it habbit to only limp in in late postion with it. Is this making things worse?

[/ QUOTE ]

You should not be "calling" with ATo. You either raise, because you think you have a better hand than the person who opened and are in late enough position to believe nobody after you has a better hand, or, you fold.

If everyone folds to you and you are about 4 seats from the button and believe that if you open/raise, that you will either win the blinds or get a max of two players, then play it. It is not a hand for multi-way pots.

Follow these strict guidelines and watch your profits soar.
Old 10-24-2005, 07:18 PM

why? it is a fold...
Old 10-24-2005, 07:59 PM

KQo, QJs, JTs arn't that hot either on my Interpoker data. Bout 11,000 hands. All hands I regularly play in almost any position.
Old 10-24-2005, 09:07 PM

I believe those hands are only to be played in the right situation....in blinds, late position with limpers, etc. They are not worth a raise at all because they are dominated by the raising hands.....

my2c