Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-2005, 11:51 PM

Default Re: stuey movie (high roller)

That movie was terrible. Terrible acting and directing. Terrible plot and music. I didn't know too much about Stu Ungar and wanted to see it too...
Old 04-13-2005, 11:56 PM

Default Re: spoiler (don\'t read if you haven\'t seen)

<font color="white"> i didn't see it that way when i saw it but it makes more sense than an angel </font>

guess being a giant stuey fan caused my bias
Old 04-13-2005, 11:59 PM

saw it sat night on stars and enjoyed it. Thought it was a mix between goodfellas, sapranos, and tilt. very mafia, but still good.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
That movie was terrible. Terrible acting and directing. Terrible plot and music. I didn't know too much about Stu Ungar and wanted to see it too...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the soundtrack was really bad. What was all that elecric guitar crap.

-Pete
Old 04-14-2005, 12:37 AM

I didn't care for it. I was really excited when I bought it, but it seemed pretty bland to me.
Old 04-14-2005, 12:42 AM

I just rented it about two weeks ago and while it's slow at times it was thoroughly enjoyable, Stu was the man too bad all the poopy stuff that he let happen to him. Sorry if post was silly im a little drunk.

Hidden white text below:
<font color="white">Yes Granny the Reaper makes more sense, I thought he was God when I watched it, same theme as the Angel, really the same damn difference just someone there to take him away, and how convenient hollywood had a camera into his mind so we could see his story as he told him to the SOUL COLLECTOR....eek scary</font>
Old 04-14-2005, 12:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
not bad!

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> I'm a fan of the film meet joe black which is (at least in some ways) a similar theme...if I hadn't seen that film I probably wouldn't have gotten it until the end. </font>
Old 04-14-2005, 01:17 AM

Default Re: spoiler (don\'t read if you haven\'t seen)

[ QUOTE ]

<font color="white"> i didn't see it that way when i saw it but it makes more sense than an angel </font>

guess being a giant stuey fan caused my bias

[/ QUOTE ]

ah, but i gave you credit for being an optimist...

why not your way?
Old 04-14-2005, 10:51 AM

It was an excellent movie, but I'm disappointed because it seemed to focus on the negatives of Stu more than the positives.
Old 04-14-2005, 11:07 AM

I also watched the movie and would give it the old "thumbs up".
Some misc. comments:
1) I watched it with a friend who, until 5 minutes before starting the movie, had no idea who Mr. Ungar was. I gave him a quick rundown (being careful to not spoil anything I thought mau be in the movie), we watched it, and he thought it was good.

2) I thought the music (soundtrack) selections were decent. The problem was that they went on too long. There was toomuch of a "music video" feel to those parts of the movie.

3) I thought the plot was a very fitting way to outline his life. Perhaps, it could have been a little more solid but was more than acceptable.

4) The biggest disapointment for me was that the film did not put much focus on the destructiveness of Mr. Ungar's well know drug habbits. I believe there was only one scene in which he was shown using and one other in which he had drugs but did not use them. Drugs were a huge part of his life and very much responsible for his untimely death. They should have been covered better in the film.

All in all... I enjoyed it and will buy a copy for my collection. I would recommend it to anyone who can appreciate the art and recognize that for a lower budget film it is put together quite well.

Cheers,

deacsoft