Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-19-2003, 02:01 AM

Default Re: Immoral?

"I really do think stupid people deserve to lose money to smarter people. That's why I'm playing the game, to beat stupid people out of their money."

A person who doesn't play cards as well as you do is not necessarily stupid. H emay just not play cards as well as you do. He may be a much smarter person than you are. A smart person who feels he deserves money from people who don't do something as well as he does, would be better advised to do something that doesn't involve either luck or incomplete information.

I don't think the old bastard he A-A until you shorted the pot. He had 7-2o, but the cards changed when you cheated.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:31 AM

I wouldn't use the world immoral. I'd use the word wrong. Plain and simple, wrong.
Old 11-19-2003, 02:48 AM

Default Here\'s another one. . . was this immoral?

I wasn't in this hand, but it still made me wonder. It happened about a year ago. I was in a 10-20, and this kid sitting to my left who was stuck and acting all pissy, thought he played well, whining about beats, blah, blah.

So anyways, there's maybe rather big pot pre-flop 5 way raised. on the flop, this kid bets, gets raised, he 3 bets, now it's heads up, and the guy four-bets him, but the dealer pushed all the chips into the pot, and then told the kid that he never put in the last bet.

Now, I KNOW he didn't, because I watched the action, but then he started arguing that he did, and that he was positive that he did, and he even further told the dealer that he could count the pot. The thing is, I actually believed that he thought he put the bet in, because, well, that was just my read from watching the whole endeavor. I could have said something, and then the dealer would have made him put the bet in, but frankly, I didn't feel like slowing down the game and making this kid look like an ass (although he really was), so I knowingly shorted the other guy. Did I do bad?
Old 11-19-2003, 02:53 AM

Default immoral. wrong. dick move.

Shorting the pot is extraordinarily lame. It's wrong. It's cheating. It should get you barred from your card room.

There are a lot of 2+2ers that I don't want to play with; you're the only one who where the reason isn't superior poker skill.
Old 11-19-2003, 03:01 AM

Default Re: Here\'s another one. . . was this immoral?

"Did I do bad?"

I don't think you did. But it's your line to draw. Should we speak up if there is a $10 mistake in a $10,000 no-limit pot headsup when the guy who just lost 5K owes ten more? How about if an entire half of a huge $4-8 Ohama/8 pot gets shoved to the wrong player and it should have gone to your brother?

Old 11-19-2003, 03:39 AM

Yeah. . .that makes alot of sense.

A few years ago, I was playing in a 5-10 at foxwoods when this 60-something lady sat down wearing a fur coat and about $10,000 of jewelry. She sweared a lot and kept throwing her cards at the dealer every hand and asking for better ones, even though she got AA in her first orbit, and had seen about 12 hands. . .

So I raise JJ utg, she coldcalls in lp and the bb called. I flopped a set, bb bet, she called 2 cold. . .anyways, i lose the bb on the turn. The river put xJQT9 on the board, and I checked, she tossed her cards A8o face up at the dealer and said, "Come on, next time put a friggin ace up there!" So I said, "set," and pushed it out like a winner. The dealer stared at the board and both of our hands, and then he pushed me the pot. I felt real good and subsequently shared winks and smiles with my fellow that lady-haters. . .
Old 11-19-2003, 04:51 AM

JFC, how long does it take to count down a pot in a 10-20 game? Sounds like a lazy or incompetent dealer.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:04 AM

That's a brutal dealer error. And a pretty big moral omission on your part.

-Diplomat
Old 11-19-2003, 05:07 AM

When you see something wrong happening to someone, whether it is in a poker game or anywhere else in life, you have to say something. If you don't, there is more of a chance that nobody will say something when the wind blows the other way. Believe me, the wind blows in both directions.
Old 11-19-2003, 05:48 AM

You know there's no reason to be a jackass to me. I didn't post this some some wannabe like you could make snide remarks. I posted it cause I wanted to know if you guys thought it was immoral or 'bad' of me to do so. By the way the $30 I saved bought me a nice submarine sandwich and chocolate milk afterwards.

PokerPrince