Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-17-2005, 04:22 PM

Default Re: Durbin\'s Comments About Detainees Treatment At Gitmo

Apparently you guys don't read.

Even a number of well-read conservatives on the board have said that you're just ridiculous if you don't think people are being tortured. (And for the record, we have tortured people to death.)

People are being smeared. Try reading. Keep up.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:31 PM

I don't agree, kurto; and do I find it appalling that an elected official can so blatantly misuse a term like "gulag".

Misuse of words like "torture" is appalling, too.

As for what's going on at Gitmo, it's probably the BEST that any non-official combatants captured by the enemy have ever been treated anywhere, in the history of the world.

That said, I do have some questions and reservations about it.

One question I have is why the al-Qaedans toting AK-47's weren't just shot on the battlefield. I suppose there must be good intelligence reasons for keeping them alive, though.

More thoughts later; I'm going out for a walk.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:35 PM

My last thought... I've said this weeks ago and, to no surprise, things haven't changed. The fact that someone compared Gitmo to a Gulag is irrelevent. When you hear that people are being denied rights, people are being tortured, an innocent man presumeably was tortured to death, etc. AND someone compared it to a "Gulag"... I have to wonder what's wrong with people when they they're confronted with all of that information; they think the appalling part that deserves the most attention was that they think someone made an inappropriate analogy.

[/ QUOTE ]

HERE IS THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR "LAST" THOUGHT...
That people are being denied rights is a given... its a prison camp. In every prison evry where rights are denied. The reason being that you forfeit rights when you commit the acts that land you in prison. As in every war before this one the prisoners will be released when the war is over.
What you want to call torture is a joke. In boot camp I was put through far worse. Every act that was taken was to gather information to keep americns alive. If someone has to lose sleep or listen to rap music to keep americans alive then so be it.I will support it up to the point REAL torture occurs.
The Geneva convention does not apply to these prisoners. It has never applied to our people being held by them I might add.
Who was tortured to death at gitmo?????
Who????
No one.
Who can it be confirmed was tortured to death at all ????
Who ???
No one.
People like you repeat lies over and over again hoping that maybe just maybe the rest of us have become as Shiavo like as you.
The looney left ceases to be amusing when their actions put americans in actual danger.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't agree, kurto; and do I find it appalling that an elected official can so blatantly misuse a term like "gulag".

[/ QUOTE ]

The Dictionary definition shows that it is appropriate. You're playing semantics.

"Misuse of words like "torture" is appalling, too."

lol Oh God, you're getting loopy. Now you don't think people are being tortured? You are aware that we've TORTURED someone to death?

[ QUOTE ]
As for what's going on at Gitmo, it's probably the BEST that any non-official combatants captured by the enemy have ever been treated anywhere, in the history of the world.

[/ QUOTE ]

For starters, you are only guessing. Second, its not relevent to the issue; we're breaking laws or going around them. Third; that's no justification for the human rights violations going on. We would condemn any country that was found doing the same.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:46 PM

Let's be clear and accurate about Sen. Durbin's remarks. He never referred to Gitmo as a 'death camp', that was the headline used by the hacks at the Moonie run Washington Times. The torture he was referring to was from an FBI report that included eye witness accounts of a prisoner subject to extreme temperatures (both freezing and heating), being chained in painful poses for extended periods of time (18-24 hours) including being forced by the time elapsed to defecate on themselves. His statements weren't about Koran abuse.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That people are being denied rights is a given... its a prison camp. In every prison evry where rights are denied.

[/ QUOTE ]

Prisoners have rights. Do some research.

[ QUOTE ]
The reason being that you forfeit rights when you commit the acts that land you in prison.

[/ QUOTE ]

We don't even know that all the people there have done acts to get them in prison. We already know that we tortured an innocent cab driver to death.

[ QUOTE ]
As in every war before this one the prisoners will be released when the war is over.

[/ QUOTE ]

Once again.. keep up. Rumsfeld said we might never let them go. And what war are you talking about? Are you say when 'terror' is defeated, they'll be released?

"What you want to call torture is a joke."

As I said, its clear you don't do much reading. LOL You know the joke where we hang people by chains for several days and beat them until they die. Yeah,... that's a joke. Seriously, it would appear you've read next to nothing on the subject.

[ QUOTE ]
In boot camp I was put through far worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its odd that you would say this since you clearly have no idea what's been reported happening there.

[ QUOTE ]
Every act that was taken was to gather information to keep americns alive. If someone has to lose sleep or listen to rap music to keep americans alive then so be it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, this sounds too ignorant to even address.

[ QUOTE ]
People like you repeat lies over and over again hoping that maybe just maybe the rest of us have become as Shiavo like as you.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, I was trying to focus to the half way thinking literate posters on the forum. Try reading once in awhile. You come across pretty ignorant. (For the record, I said it was unclear which prison site we tortured the innocent guy to death. And more then one person has been killed. I single this one out since we are fairly certain he was innocent.... the fact that you call it lies just shows you're ignorant and a waste of time.

Try reading. It might do you wonders.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:03 PM

From my original post:

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW IMO Durbin remarks were political pandering but to be fair he cited an FBI report that I'm sure is one of many reports by the U.S. on Gitmo.

[/ QUOTE ]

You responded in part:

[ QUOTE ]
Let's be clear and accurate about Sen. Durbin's remarks. He never referred to Gitmo as a 'death camp', that was the headline used by the hacks at the Moonie run Washington Times. The torture he was referring to was from an FBI report that included eye witness accounts of a prisoner subject to extreme temperatures (both freezing and heating), being chained in painful poses for extended periods of time (18-24 hours) including being forced by the time elapsed to defecate on themselves.

[/ QUOTE ]

I fully acknowledged that Durbin quoted an FBI report. The question is did he choose the report that would best suit his political purposes? Where is this report and how does this report stack up to other reports on Gitmo by the U.S. government? Seriously I have a hard time believing that the U.S. government has only one FBI report on Gitmo. I'd be willing to bet alot of money that Durbin chose this report shall we say selectively. Why hasn't Durbin produced this report (he may have and links would be appreciated)? Is it classified? If so IMO he shouldn't mention a specific report without giving people the opportunity to examine it in context and in light of other reports. He could easily state that he has information about the treatment of detainees that's very disturbing etc. I have a hard time believing that the info in the report is classified as well.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:10 PM

How does one miss the numerous stories all referencing this same report?

Its not like Durbin is the only one who has this report.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:15 PM

Fair enough provide the link to it then or if you have a copy post it. It would be much appreciated.
Old 06-17-2005, 06:56 PM

"did he choose the report that would best suit his political purposes?"

He's a politician. How would it be even conceivable that the answer would be anything but yes?