Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2003, 05:53 PM

Default Re: Funny NLHE Tournament

You mean flip them up after someone has bet and you are trying to decide whether to call (to judge his reaction)? That really seems like an angle shoot to me. Also, many people would automatically consider this a fold and would flip up their cards too, resulting in a big argument. Easier to just say 'don't show your cards until action is done'.
Old 07-11-2003, 06:17 PM

Default Re: Let me try and head off more posts...

When I was accused of cheating, I went and read all of the TDA rules again, just to be sure I was right (I was). I also read all of Stars tourney rules, which virtually mimicked the TDA rules, and sometimes quoted them verbatim.

I don't know about Party, I haven't read their tourney rules in-depth.

If you want a really good handle on what is appropriate and what is not, you can read the TDA rules. They are posted, in full, at pokerforum.com and many other websites.

For instance, back in '73, it was not considered angle shooting to expose a hand before being all-in head's up (or multi-way, if only one person has chips left). Puggy Pearson did it in the WSOP, to gauge the reaction that Jack Strauss would have seeing his two pair. It worked, and Puggy won the hand.

This is considered angle shooting these days, and the hand would be immediately declared dead.

The same goes for talking about a hand while involved in it. Even if you are just talking trash. It doesn't matter what the motive is, if you talk about a hand, your hand is dead and you will probably get a penalty.

This is no rule, however, about talking about a hand after it is complete. You are allowed to talk about it at the table, to a railbird, in private, etc. Even online, there is NO rule about discussing hands that are completed. They cannot be discussed in any way during the hand. I see this a lot at Stars. Someone bets on the flop, bets pretty hard. Another player comes over the top all-in. The first bettor asks, "What do you have?" He knows it's just trash talking. We know it's just talk, but it is still against Stars' tourney rules. I always remind the players of that, so that they don't get kicked out of the tourney. Stars doesn't seem to enforce this rule unless someone complains, but it is still best just to follow the rules and keep everything as fair as possible.
Old 07-11-2003, 08:42 PM

Default Re: Let me try and head off more posts...

Its always good to know what the rules are. I never realized asking what a guy had (even online!) was against the rules until you mentioned it. Glad I know now.

I think looking back we've all said/done some things that in hindsight were wrong, but we didn't think much of it at the time. At least we can learn from our mistakes.