Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-23-2005, 03:46 PM

Default Re: AK in $11 Multi - 19 Left

i like your fold for the following reasons:

1) he is big stack - losing to you all in would bring him way back to below average. he will not make this play against you without a hand. you are probably an underdog in the hand.

2) if you are a good player, and i'm sure you are, wait for a situation to outplay someone and try to win the tournament, not inch up to 18th. you can't outplay them when you're guessing whether or not to call their all-in with AK

3). you simply don't have to make the call based on your M.

i wait for a more favorable situation...
Old 08-23-2005, 03:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It is hard to imagine a more favorable situation than 2-1 pot odds to call with AK against a big stack who may be aggressive. Ridiculously easy call. It would take an extraordinary situation for me to fold AK preflop with 13xBB.

A smaller raise preflop is proabably better, as you are less pot committed, although I wouldn't fold AK preflop anyway.

You could also just open push. Depending on how the table is playing, you could play for a limpraise.

I love this stage of a tournament when people start playing weak/tight.
Old 08-23-2005, 05:50 PM

This is an automatic call spare some super read on a super-tight big stack that is a nut peddler. Must call.

Reminds me of a situation with about 17 left in the PS rebuy the other night. I was down to about 500k, and villian had 600k and knew I respect his play. I raise from LP with AJs to 120k (3xbb) and he pushed from the BB. Now AJs doesnt feel great there, but taking into account the type of play he is willing to make, I made a call, and he flips A3.

Nick
Old 08-23-2005, 05:52 PM

I call every time.
Old 08-23-2005, 07:25 PM

Call here, generally AA or KK (the 2 worst hands you can see) probably won't play it like this, although it is possible. You are at worst a coin flip as others have mentioned along with the good probability that you are way ahead of AQs or AQo.
~Justin
Old 08-24-2005, 09:46 AM

I like the smaller raise here, so its easier to get away from the hand - BUT - at this stage in a tournament, I dont do any really big raises unless I am prepared to call reraises (which will be allins at this point).

Without having a feel for the table or the player and all the previous action, I would call this one, but propably close my eyes.
Old 08-24-2005, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
i like your fold for the following reasons:

1) he is big stack - losing to you all in would bring him way back to below average. he will not make this play against you without a hand. you are probably an underdog in the hand.

2) if you are a good player, and i'm sure you are, wait for a situation to outplay someone and try to win the tournament, not inch up to 18th. you can't outplay them when you're guessing whether or not to call their all-in with AK

3). you simply don't have to make the call based on your M.

[/ QUOTE ]

You have to be willing to make this call. It sucks but its true. You'd be surprised at what he turns over sometimes.