Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-08-2005, 02:56 PM

Default Re: Standard Top Set(66) Party 2/4

If I'm feeling frisky, I'll minraise sometimes because the stacks are relatively short (read: pot commited) and he could have something that he might lay down to a push. The minraise is basically the same thing as a push here, but it's just more enticing for him to call.

Obviously, the idea would then be to get the rest in on the turn.

Oh, and if he's flopped the str8, so be it. I double him up no matter what line I take.

Interested in the results...

Best,
Marlow
Old 09-08-2005, 03:44 PM

I put him on 45 and move all in.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-08-2005, 05:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I put him on 45 and move all in.... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly my play. I wasn't in the mood to fold top set so I put all the money in there and he called. Villain showed 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]5 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] for the nut straight, i went unimproved and he took down a monster. I tried to avoid hinting towards the fact that he had the straight to try and get better responses. Does anyone "get away" from this hand? I think in the long run "getting away" is -EV and putting it all in there is the only choice. Anyone disagree?
Old 09-08-2005, 06:37 PM

You simply do not get away from this hand.

That would be stupid.

You're very likely well ahead of someone. There's a small chance you're moderately behind.

Ryan
Old 09-09-2005, 11:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Also, I definitely raise PF.

[/ QUOTE ]

Why is this? Game is 7-handed. You dont want anyone else to take control of the hand or...?

It's just not fun to get 3 callers (unless you flop a set). And if someone makes a big reraise, you should probably fold when you could have limped in, called a standard raise and flopped a set.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like playing raised pots when I have a pair. I also like having iniative in raised pots.

As for your suggestion of limping and calling a raise, hoping to flop a set, I think this is a classic case of NL players vastly overestimating their implied odds out of position. When most players do that, it narrows their hand range so much (basically to pairs) that any semi-competent player will destroy them in position. I absolutely love it when players do this against me. It's a huge chip-burner for them, since they're check-folding the vast majority of flops and they don't make much money when they flop big.

There are some NL games where I might prefer to limp w/ a small pair up front, but a 7-handed Party 400 is definitely not one of them.
Old 09-09-2005, 11:33 AM

We know he has the straight when he re-raises to 150. But it is tought to lay down a set and you are looking to fill up. You knew he had it when you put your money in!
Old 09-09-2005, 12:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
We know he has the straight when he re-raises to 150. But it is tought to lay down a set and you are looking to fill up. You knew he had it when you put your money in!

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think that there's any way to know what CO has. As CO, I do the same thing here with undersets or (sometimes) with a hand like Ac2c or Ac5c.

I used to always think my opponent had "it." Not only was that very stressful, but it made it tough to win on a consistant basis (because it was frightfully weak-tight).

Just my $0.02

Marlow