Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-25-2005, 07:53 AM

Default Re: How many buy-ins must you lose before calling it quits for the day

When I lose a lot of BBs I typically notice that the table has gotten shorthanded and is filled with strong players. So I leave.

If the table is full of chumps who are sucking out on my all-ins, then I stay until they go bust or flee with their winnings.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:06 AM

I quit as soon as I lose a pot, including check-folding an unraised pot from BB, unimproved.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:23 AM

Default Re: How many buy-ins must you lose before calling it quits for the day?

it depends, generally 5 buyins at 50-100 NL or 10 buyins at 25-50 NL.

(yes im jk)
Old 11-25-2005, 08:41 AM

I take a break for 5 to 30 min whenever i feel like i'm not making good decisions.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:55 AM

i usually give it 3 or 4 buy-ins before calling it a day. at that point you are either playing bad, running bad, or both. tomorrow is another day.
Old 11-25-2005, 09:17 AM

i dont have one, but ill take a short break if i drop 5-7. doesnt mean im done for the day though.

just a month ago i lost 5.5 buyins in the afternoon. played again at night and made 9.

i used to be worthless if I was down > $10k, but i have gotten much more comfortable with it and can still play good +EV poker.

the best thing to do however is to just not look at the cashier or PT to see what you are at for the day. i have stopped doing this altogether during a session. nothing good has ever come from it.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:54 AM

My record is losing 17 buyins tilting while playing NL100 on 20 tables at the same time. (-1780$ for a 5h session). But nowadays I usually stop if I lose over 6-8 buyins.

My style of play can be very swingy, so even an 8 buyin loss sometimes may not mean tilt (it usually does though). The thing is, I can take advantage if my "tilt image" and win it all back really fast, cause after I lose a lot of buyins people give me more action cause they think im on tilt, and i usually am, but if I can control my gamble urge and try to inteligently exploit the image, it can become a very profitable momemnt, so sometimes I keep on playing even after losing a lot.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:15 PM

Once I lose around 5-6 buyins I realize I'm playing [censored] and thus I take a 5 minute break before moving up to higher stakes to make money back faster. This plan is fullproof. Q.E.D.
Old 11-25-2005, 12:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
i dont have one, but ill take a short break if i drop 5-7. doesnt mean im done for the day though.

just a month ago i lost 5.5 buyins in the afternoon. played again at night and made 9.

i used to be worthless if I was down > $10k, but i have gotten much more comfortable with it and can still play good +EV poker.

the best thing to do however is to just not look at the cashier or PT to see what you are at for the day. i have stopped doing this altogether during a session. nothing good has ever come from it.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a very wise post. Although personally I find it hard not to sneak a glance.
Old 11-25-2005, 01:15 PM

I lost 5-8xbuyin so many times that I cant even estimate the number. My new record set recently is 11xbuyin (that's 11k) I played like crap and run badly. My swingest session is going to -5k just to end up at +8k.
I used the 5xbuyin "cap" some time ago while I was playing on short bankroll (which is 30xbuyin for me) but I dont use it anymore now I will be probably using it for a while when I move up to 2kNL.

Best wishes