Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-07-2005, 09:30 PM

Default Re: My aggression factor was too high...

The turn is the place to raise here. A lot of times with a weak J, they will just check-call the river if you call the turn, but they will call down a turn raise.
Old 04-07-2005, 09:31 PM

agression factor too high?????

now bout nowhere near high enough.

you raise this flop with lots of holdings so you best be raising it w/ QQ. he may 3bet w/ a draw. you then simply smooth call and raise the turn...if he folds, fine, you got a bunch of bets outta him.

dude, need to be way more aggressive imo.

-Barron
Old 04-08-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I guess it just seemed to me more likely that he was holding a weak jack, hoping that I would raise and knock him off his hand. Because the pot was small, I would rather allow him to draw to his 5 outs than fold to a raise...

[/ QUOTE ]

He's not betting with top pair hoping you raise him so he can fold. I don't know how you came up with this scenario but I assure you it's not what happened. 28/14 players don't play this way, and neither does anyone else for that matter.

Also, if he really has 5 outs, he's getting odds to suck out on you on the flop. And if you plan on raising any card on the river, and he's going to 3bet when it happens to be one of his 5 outs, he has odds to pay $30 on the turn, too.

You said you thought he was "a little too loose and a little too passive". The guy raises 14% of his hands! His aggression factor is on the high end too. You need to seriously reevaluate what you think you know about players from PT stats.

Not raising the flop or turn with a hand like this is simply retarded.
Old 04-08-2005, 03:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]

He's not betting with top pair hoping you raise him so he can fold. I don't know how you came up with this scenario but I assure you it's not what happened. 28/14 players don't play this way, and neither does anyone else for that matter.

Also, if he really has 5 outs, he's getting odds to suck out on you on the flop. And if you plan on raising any card on the river, and he's going to 3bet when it happens to be one of his 5 outs, he has odds to pay $30 on the turn, too.

You said you thought he was "a little too loose and a little too passive". The guy raises 14% of his hands! His aggression factor is on the high end too. You need to seriously reevaluate what you think you know about players from PT stats.

Not raising the flop or turn with a hand like this is simply retarded.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're analysis is flawed choppy. First off he obviously has odds to call any raise on the flop, so that isn't really an issue. I should have raised there, as my hand would look a lot like AK and I might even get 3bet (thanks guys).

As for the turn, you can't view his implied odds like that because he is going to need to put in $30 on the river no matter what, I am not always raising, and I am not always calling a 3bet.

Lastly I said he was a little too passive due to the fact that his postflop aggression factor is 1.5. You may be right, however, that I am concluding too much about my opponents based on their PT numbers, but that is kinda why I posted this hand in the first place. But I am sure you can admit that the PT numbers are a very useful tool, and it is possible to understand your opponents tendencies based on them.

My final point to rebut you is that the BB in this hand called my raise on the end and showed down J6. Not that that rebuts what anyone said about raising the flop, as I concede that is a better action, but it certainly rebuts your righteous advice Choppy.
Old 04-09-2005, 08:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Lastly I said he was a little too passive due to the fact that his postflop aggression factor is 1.5. You may be right, however, that I am concluding too much about my opponents based on their PT numbers, but that is kinda why I posted this hand in the first place. But I am sure you can admit that the PT numbers are a very useful tool, and it is possible to understand your opponents tendencies based on them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't say you were reading too much into the situation based on PT numbers, I said you were interpreting them incorrectly. This guy isn't passive and his numbers clearly show that.

[ QUOTE ]
My final point to rebut you is that the BB in this hand called my raise on the end and showed down J6. Not that that rebuts what anyone said about raising the flop, as I concede that is a better action, but it certainly rebuts your righteous advice Choppy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I told you he wasn't betting into you so he could fold to a raise, he was going to see a showdown with top pair, and that's what happened. I don't know what advice you're referring to that you think this disproves.