Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Televised Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-14-2005, 04:11 AM

Default Re: Best ME in years??

[ QUOTE ]
I gotta vote for The Sundial myself.

[/ QUOTE ]

Too late.

H-DOG shall be her moniker, now and heretoforevermore.

Besides, "Human Delay of Game" gets extra points when you remember, as so many 2+2ers do, that she IS a dog*.

*Kathy Liebert is still uglier [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 04:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I only really paid attention to the ME 2003-2005, this is by far the most interesting tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting but we have yet to see how it will come out on tv. The 2004 ME on espn was half as good as the 2003 ME on espn in terms of entertainment value. If it wasn't for Marcel Luske the 2004 ME on tv would have been very bad. The 2003 ME had helmuth vs grizzle, farha, moneymaker and overall more interesting players.
Old 07-14-2005, 04:55 AM

I ain't gonna do the work to prove it but I'm 99% sure I got Sundial up before H-Dog. [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img]
Old 07-14-2005, 04:57 AM

Vahedi comes to mind, and his bluffs.

MM bluff is possibly the best TV poker moment ever.

Man, but wouldn't you love to see Raymer, Ivey, and Matusow at the final table together? That'd be great TV, and very good poker.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't stop thinking of how great a final table with Ivey, Matusow, and Raymer would be. I honestly expected there to be 27 people I've never heard left at this point.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agree on both counts, and Minh Ly is also a name. Prolly an even money bet that a multi-bracelet guy like Matusow would make it this far, but for the defending champ & the number 1 seed to also make it is just unreal.

Defo gotta hope for a Greg-Ivey-Mouth-Sundial final four.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I only really paid attention to the ME 2003-2005, this is by far the most interesting tournament.

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting but we have yet to see how it will come out on tv. The 2004 ME on espn was half as good as the 2003 ME on espn in terms of entertainment value. If it wasn't for Marcel Luske the 2004 ME on tv would have been very bad. The 2003 ME had helmuth vs grizzle, farha, moneymaker and overall more interesting players.

[/ QUOTE ]

$1 says ESPN skips over the absurdity...

They'll mention she "took her time to think out the hand" (aka stall like a rag), and skip over her multiple suckouts with the worst hand, only to focus on her play tomorrow and Friday.
Old 07-14-2005, 05:30 AM

I think Raymer winning it will be terrible for poker. if people realize that poker is more a game of skill than luck, they'll be less likely to gamble when they do play... and they might actually start studying poker.

doesn't that thought send a chill down your spine?

plus, it'll be a cold day in hell before poker is legalized everywhere. players have won events in consecutive years before, and it hasn't seemed to change anything. (I know the field size is much larger this year, making it more of an incredible feat of skill to win twice. do you think the average politician knows/cares about that?)

(yeah, I posted at 5:30 in the morning. what of it?)
Old 07-14-2005, 05:36 AM

This ME's pretty awesome. You've got your villians (Raymer), you're heroes (Matusow), and the best player in the world (Tiff, although Ivey could give her a run for the money).
Old 07-14-2005, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I think Raymer winning it will be terrible for poker. if people realize that poker is more a game of skill than luck, they'll be less likely to gamble when they do play... and they might actually start studying poker.

doesn't that thought send a chill down your spine?

[/ QUOTE ]

Don't be ridiculous. Everyone already knows that poker is more skill than luck and that they are awesome at poker and they don't need books to be a good player and they can beat any book player because they're so predictable but it's the bad opponents who they can't beat. If Raymer were to win, it wouldn't change anything in this regard.
Old 07-14-2005, 08:42 AM

Why doesn't ESPN do more TV-broadcast final table coverage? I'm sure we'll see less than 20 hands from the final table, 16 of which involve all in confrontations. The players wouldn't want their intricate playing secrets revealed? Surely there's a market for it...As interesting as it can be, there still can't be many who watch the National ArmWrestling Championship, the WORLD Double Dutch JumpRope Competition and I personally think the Strongest Man Competition is lame-o...It's just a bunch of strong guys who look alike from countries wherever in Scandanavia lugging/pulling/pushing/squatting rocks/barrels/cars/contraptions....