Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-01-2005, 12:03 AM

Default Re: You CAN Change Your Axioms

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm curious why you feel it is so important to show logical consistency when it comes to morality or emotion? I understand the need for consistency in certain professions and/or situations. But the human condition is not logical and I'd like to hear your argument for why it even should be."

It doesn't have to be if you want to act like an animal. But it has to be if you are trying to persuade or explain something to anyone else and expect to be taken seroiously. You also must be consistent if one of your own goals is to act or talk according to your precepts. And you certainly must be consistent if we are talking not just purely about morals but also about maximizing your chances of achieving something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals are illogical and/or inconsistent? Animals work on instinct and are fairly predictable as a result.
Old 09-01-2005, 12:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
and the people who aren't/don't don't fully understand what you're sayin gso it seems to them like you're just saying something trivial along the lines of "you are allowed to change your opinion"

[/ QUOTE ]

That's pretty much what I took from it.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:19 AM

Axiom=

"A statement or assertion for which no proof or demonstration is required. Simply put, an axiom is a self-evident truth."

"A basic assumption that is accepted without proof"

Axioms are beliefs.

Belief=

"any cognitive content held as true"

"An unproven assertion based on one or more fundamental assumptions. The assertion may be unprovable."

"The subjective assessment of uncertainty. In the Bayesian paradigm, quantified by probability. In the statistical domain."

Theoretically, anyone can change a currently held axiom/belief at any time.

In practice, this is seldom the case.

It's not just world-class scientists that are willing and adept at changing beliefs.

Garden-variety business people everyywhere are quite skilled in this area also.

Ditto for winning players.

This topic of changing axiomatic beliefs is a fantastic one for rigorous discussion.
Old 09-01-2005, 07:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I kind of hoped that obvious or not, people would write about specific exmples of the general idea.

[/ QUOTE ]
I would be interested in hearing some of *your* specific examples, now that the idea has been established. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 09-01-2005, 07:55 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Seems too obvious to interest someone who would understand it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh dear, living proof that smart people are stoopid to.

Mack
Old 09-01-2005, 08:07 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"I'm curious why you feel it is so important to show logical consistency when it comes to morality or emotion? I understand the need for consistency in certain professions and/or situations. But the human condition is not logical and I'd like to hear your argument for why it even should be."

It doesn't have to be if you want to act like an animal. But it has to be if you are trying to persuade or explain something to anyone else and expect to be taken seroiously. You also must be consistent if one of your own goals is to act or talk according to your precepts. And you certainly must be consistent if we are talking not just purely about morals but also about maximizing your chances of achieving something.

[/ QUOTE ]

Animals - interests

a) Eating
b) Sleeping
c) [censored]
d) Trying to not get killed

Humans - interests

a) Eating
b) Sleeping
c) [censored]
d) Trying not to get killed

Not necessarily in that order, but we have so much in common.

Mack
Old 09-01-2005, 08:10 AM

It just seems very basic to me, if someone understood it I don't think there's much more to say about it. What else can you do?
Old 09-01-2005, 08:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It just seems very basic to me, if someone understood it I don't think there's much more to say about it. What else can you do?

[/ QUOTE ]

I personally rely on a world full of ignorant people, their continued co-operation relys on them not knowing I think them ignorant. I like to mock intellectual supremacists, mainly because they are a soft target. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

Mack
Old 09-01-2005, 08:39 AM

And your continued fun relies on you not realising they wouldn't care if they did know.
Old 09-01-2005, 08:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And your continued fun relies on you not realising they wouldn't care if they did know.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sigh, maybe you don't understand the point. I am saying suggesting intellectual superiority or belittling people because they are not on your 'plane' is unhelpful and unproductive. We all have a place in society, almost everyone has someone who needs them or relys on them in some way, even if most of them can be replaced by someone else. My apologies if I was not clear or sounded pompous.

Mack