Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-22-2005, 05:38 PM

Default Re: Gay Marriage

It was an argument that I have heard used -- "if two guys can get married, what does that say about my marriage?" which I find to be baseless and asinine.

For the record I support gay marriage.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:46 PM

And I do believe that there are studies that contradict this viewpoint.
Old 06-22-2005, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
And I do believe that there are studies that contradict this viewpoint.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ive read quite a few and most of them that contradict this viewpoint are methodologically flawed. But their are lots of studies that show the negative impacts on children because of lack of a father or lack of a mother in the family. I would certainly be glad to read any studies you can direct me to that you think show otherwise. I have done a lot of reading on this and I am more than happy to do more.
Old 06-22-2005, 06:25 PM

Gay marriage is widely accepted across Europe, particularly in the Scandinavian countries (Where the Catholic church has never had a huge influence).

It may opposed by 65% of Americans today, but that is largely the religious community and the over 40/over 50 crowd, who are conservative enough to not give it much thought.

I'd love to know if there were national polls done on inter-racial marriage back in the 40's and 50's...
Old 06-22-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Marriage brings certain goods to society, the most prevalent of those being the bearing and raising of children. The opposite sex nuclear family is the best environment for raising of children and the proper raising of children,that is, future citizens, is of great deal of importance to society. Thats why the state rewards it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Does anyone think that allowing gay marriage will make heterosexuals less likely to have children? Or by not allowing gay marriage will it encourage gay men to have sex with women, thereby producing offspring?
Old 06-22-2005, 09:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The policy argument against gay marriage is pretty straightforward. Marriage brings certain goods to society, the most prevalent of those being the bearing and raising of children.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is a fallacy. For starters, there is no requirement for a married couple to have children. Therefore, children can not be the reason.

Furthermore, they have done long term studies on children raised by gay parents. There were no discernable difference in the quality of their upbringing. (except, perhaps, they might be a little less bigoted then your average person.)

[ QUOTE ]
The opposite sex nuclear family is the best environment for raising of children and the proper raising of children,that is, future citizens, is of great deal of importance to society.

[/ QUOTE ]

Again... this is a myth.
Old 06-22-2005, 09:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Does anyone think that allowing gay marriage will make heterosexuals less likely to have children? Or by not allowing gay marriage will it encourage gay men to have sex with women, thereby producing offspring?

[/ QUOTE ]

You'd have to wonder what's psychologically wrong with anyone who believes this. If a gay married couple moved in next door, it would have no effect on my marriage, my parent's marriage.

Probably the only noticeable effect would be that they'd have a nicer decorated home then anyone else in the neighborhood.

And for the record, In my circle of friends going back to college, I have 2 gay friends both of whom have had various long term relationships; Oddly enough, being exposed to gays haven't negatively effected the relationships of any of my heterosexual friends as nearly all of them are married. 3 of the couples have children. All of them support gay marriage and nothing of them seem to think if our gay friends got married, it would have any effect on their relationships.

But bigotry is never logical.
Old 06-22-2005, 11:39 PM

Default Don\'t worry about........

...."putting it intelligently".....just remember where queeers "are putting it" and you'll drop this notion that [censored] marriage is so swell
Old 06-23-2005, 12:03 AM

[ QUOTE ]
But bigotry is never logical.

[/ QUOTE ]

If a person opposes gay marriage, does that make them bigoted by definition?
Old 06-23-2005, 12:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If a person opposes gay marriage, does that make them bigoted by definition?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
One entry found for bigot.
Main Entry: big·ot
Pronunciation: 'bi-g&t
Function: noun
Etymology: Middle French, hypocrite, bigot
: a person obstinately or intolerantly devoted to his or her own opinions and prejudices
- big·ot·ed /-g&-t&d/ adjective
- big·ot·ed·ly adverb

[/ QUOTE ]