Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-12-2004, 02:41 PM

Default Re: Doesn\'t anyone wanna complain about CANADIAN politics?

In the spirit of Gamblors post:

The Ontario Liberals (and im no consservative) are lying liars. Daulton McGuinty should be ashamed of himself. And we collectively should be ashamed for allowing/believing them to say the things they did to get elected. And the promises they made. I cannot accept that they had NO idea as to the state of the finances of the govt before they got into power. I mean they were the opposition... the financial records are public. It's thier JOB to be on top of these things. Sheesh. Lying Liar.

Discuss [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Softwood Lumber. The trade arbitration sided in our favor.. but.. from what I understand we have a ton of crown land that we give to the big lumber producers for a pittance, a 'stumpage' fee, and there is little or no competition for this because of the abundance of forest. If I am not mistaken... the US makes companies bit for the rights to log. We should do the same. As crown land this belongs to all of US and we do not need to effectively subsidize lumber in order to make it marketable on the international market. THIS is where we shoulde look for new tax revenue.

Discuss.

Paul Martin (The new PM (that's like a president [img]/images/graemlins/smirk.gif[/img])). It may be the name of the game in the international shipping biz but the fact that he moved his company offshore (Canda Steamship Lines) to avoid paying corporate taxes and suppoorting this fine country that has treated him so well, makes me question his personal comittment/ideology towards this country. And now the fact that the govenment misunderestimated (love that one thanks GW) the AMT of federal contract to his company while he was finance minister by a factor of... Get a load of this 1000! that 110k turned out to be 110 million? Is there no honor in politics? Is he a thief AND a liar?

Discuss.

We have no Opposition party. The NDP? The conservative train wreck? Those yogic flying guys? The bloc quebeqouis?

Discuss.

That indian reserve where the chief called in some new cops to combat organized crime (which is RAMPANT on border reserves in ontario and quebec due to smuggling) gets all the new cops barricaded in the station by the supporters of organized crime. Has his house burned down and is run out of town. And whats to be done.. we negotiate a settlement with the criminals and the status quo remains? Would this sort of lawlessness be allowed to continue anywhere else in the country? (Rex Murphy had a great opinion piece on this where he describesd it but left out the native angle.. and it was just unbelievable that such a thing could take place.)

Discuss.

Pot was de-facto LEGAL in Ontario this last summer!

Discuss

Matt
Old 02-12-2004, 02:46 PM

Default Re: Gags

At least it looks as though Alfonso is gonna get what he deserves (more or less).

THough if he becomes the scapegoat for the whole affair.. I will be dreadfully dissatisfied.

Matt
Old 02-12-2004, 02:49 PM

If I recall correctly, Canada is the US's largest trade partner.

as an interesting side note Canada is the #1 supplier of Energy to the US.

If I remember correctly, we are 2nd behind the Saudis for Oil supply and when combined with Natural Gas we're #1

Next thing you know.. we'll be hiding WMD.

Matt
Old 02-12-2004, 04:25 PM

Default Pot was de-facto LEGAL in Ontario this last summer!

Yes, it was, here's how:

In 2001, the Supreme Court of Ontario declared that the current laws regarding Marijuana use as a criminal offense were in violation of the Charter of Rights and Freedoms (our constitution). In light of recent medical research advocating the use of marijuana for various ailments (i.e. appetite stimulation and nausea suppression for chemotherapy patients), that the current laws did not allow for the medical treatment approved by doctors and of the patient's choosing

The court gave parliament one year to change the law; As a result of further legal action, courts in Ontario, Nova Scotia, and Prince Edward Island ruled the marijuana possession law null and void for a few months this summer.

Rest assured, I had a great summer. You haven't lived til you've smoked a joint in the SkyDome during a Jays game.

The Supreme Court of Canada ruled 6-3 in December that the federal law making possession of small amounts of marijuana illegal does not violate the Charter of Rights and Freedoms, and that jailing someone in possession is within the Charter.

This means that marijuana policy reform is going to be up to the government, which has been mulling over plans for decriminalization for some time (despite objections from the United States Minister of Drug Policy "Disinformation" John Walters).

It all boils down to debates over what amount consists of decriminalized small possession (5? 10? 15? grams) and how much they're going to jack up the penalties for dealers and growers to "balance" the decriminalization - a far cry from the Senate's original call for outright legalization.

Old 02-12-2004, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If I recall correctly, Canada is the US's largest trade partner.

as an interesting side note Canada is the #1 supplier of Energy to the US.

If I remember correctly, we are 2nd behind the Saudis for Oil supply and when combined with Natural Gas we're #1

Next thing you know.. we'll be hiding WMD.

Matt

[/ QUOTE ]

God I hope so, it has been so long since I've witnessed a US government invasion of another country in person. Iraq was just too far to travel. Perhaps if the war against Canada is a success we'll try Mexico on for size next. Heck if we take over enough countries, call them parts of the USA our future enemies will not know who or where to attack. The more I think about this plan the more it makes sense. VIVA La Revolution!!!

Wake
Old 02-12-2004, 04:36 PM

Yeah you guys really did well in 1812.

Fort York was a high point for you, I believe.

Regardless, Canada already hides WMDs. Tie Domi is located at 40 Bay St. I believe he'll be there tonight. I await "shock and awe". Decapitation attacks have so far been proven failures.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:45 PM

Gamblor,

I suggest you attempt to only defend one country at a time. Be good else the US will offer Yassar a handful of uranium and a couple of suitcases! [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
Old 02-12-2004, 05:00 PM

To be honest with you I don't think many Americans know or care much about Canadian politics/government, but what the hell I'll try.
1. Whats the deal with your former PM? I didn't hear good things about him, were Canadiens fed up with him by the end of his tenure?
2. Do ya'll smoke pot up there or what?
3. Health Care, it sounds terrible to me, but then again I have an HMO, so what do I know. do you guys like paying everyones medical bills?
4. Why is beer so expensive up there, especially Vancouver? WTF????
5. here is a good argument, this may take everyones attention away from this threads intended purposes but here it goes.... Americans make way better beer than you guys. I am not saying, atleast not for the moment, that Americans make the best beer in the world, but damn we sure got you guys beat! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DISCUSS!!
Old 02-12-2004, 05:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
4. Why is beer so expensive up there, especially Vancouver? WTF????

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it's not ant-piss. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] If you want expensive beer, try Montreal. (I payed 9 bucks for a pint last week)

[ QUOTE ]

.... Americans make way better beer than you guys. I am not saying, atleast not for the moment, that Americans make the best beer in the world, but damn we sure got you guys beat! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

DISCUSS!!

[/ QUOTE ]

You must be joking.

-Diplomat
Old 02-12-2004, 05:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Ontario Liberals (and im no consservative) are lying liars. Daulton McGuinty should be ashamed of himself. And we collectively should be ashamed for allowing/believing them to say the things they did to get elected. And the promises they made. I cannot accept that they had NO idea as to the state of the finances of the govt before they got into power. I mean they were the opposition... the financial records are public. It's thier JOB to be on top of these things. Sheesh. Lying Liar.

Discuss [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd put BC, Alberta, and Ontario into the same category for having gawd-awful provincial leadership. In the West we have a primier who berates homeless people while drunk, then busses them to other provinces because he wants to ignore the problem, and another premier who was arrested for DUI while on vacation, while holding office. And still holds office.

I'd also like to add provincial labour law policy in Ontario and BC to the list of things I'm pissed off about.

-Diplomat