Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2005, 11:23 AM

Default Re: What book should I read next?

I'd read the following in this order:

1. Theory of Poker
2. Middle Limit Hold'em by Bob Ciaffone--It's got some tight weak stuff, but I think it makes a nice counterpoint to SSH and HPFAP.
3. HPFAP

I personally think that SSH, MLH, and HPFAP are certainly the best three books on limit hold'em. They each have different strengths, and I think that reading them essentially "next to" each other--comparing each and figuring where and why they differ--will really increase the sophistication with which you view the game. If you can understand not only different ways to play the game, but the ideas that underlie those different approaches, you will find yourself with a much keener poker mind and a much broader arsenal of skills at hand.
Old 08-09-2005, 12:22 PM

I know that this is the wrong place to say anything disparaging about Theory of Poker, but am I the only one who finds it excruciatingly boring? I have read WLLH, SSH, ITH and HOH v1 and I found all of those books a lot more enjoyable to read. I guess it's the fact that they deal more explicitly with actual poker hands.

So I agree that TOP should be read and I know that it has affected pretty much all future poker books, but goddamn do I find it boring. I try to read a few pages at night and it puts me right to sleep. I envy the people who have read it multiple times because it was a groan for me to get through it once. Also I'm an engineering graduate so I've had to read my fair share of boring textbooks (possibly contributing to my disdain for books of that style).

I guess what I'm trying to say is buy the book and read it for sure, but in my opinion, don't correlate the hype with how much you'll enjoy reading it.
Old 08-11-2005, 01:28 AM

Well, I am halfway through Aces and Kings and I enjoy it a lot. I would recommend it to anyone. Definetly entertaining.