Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-23-2004, 05:03 PM

Default Re: Terrible play? Or standard?

Your preflop call is fine.

I don't like your flop call, though. You seem to be looking very hard for a reason to play the hand when you should be looking for a reason to drop it.

The pot isn't large enough to chase the backdoor straight and flush draws. Since it is a passive table, it is almost certain that someone has the jack. So you are drawing to 3 outs with your king, assuming someone isn't holding a king with a better kicker. Also, add in the fact that anyone holding KJ has you counterfeited, and I would be folding my hand out of turn.

Haupt_234
Old 07-23-2004, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First let me say that I really do not think raising is better than calling

[/ QUOTE ]

I think a free card is useless here. I would want to see the turn for as cheaply as possible If a [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 5, or king doesn't come on the turn, it is a hand that can be easily folded. For these reasons, I don't think it is worth investing double the bets in an attempt to see both the turn and river with so little outs.

Haupt_234
Old 07-23-2004, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
it's funny because if I were at the table with you, I probably would've thought you played it terribly. But when I broke it down, it looked good to me.

[/ QUOTE ]

That is funny, since I had the same thought. I never really put to much thought into backdoor flush and str8 outs before, but this is a good hand to do so. When you factor that in with the implied odds you're getting if you hit and I think that tips the scales to a flop call. Damn that Ed Miller, he's making me play more hands post flop which is intern increasing my BB/hr. win-rate. What am I supposed to do with all this extra money?!?!
Old 07-23-2004, 05:26 PM

Some say call, some say fold. Next time I get into this situation, my head is going to explode. [img]/images/graemlins/crazy.gif[/img]
Old 07-23-2004, 10:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
In this particular hand, there were a couple of perceptions that convinced me that a call was in order.

They were a.) that the table was incredibly passive (check-calling stations). I didn't fear a check-raise from the small blind at all. In fact, I don't think I saw more than one or two check-raises by the other players in the hour and a half that I played at the table. And b.) I sincerely believed that if I did hit my hand, that at least a couple of players would pay off my raise.

Good thinking or faulty thinking?

[/ QUOTE ]
These are valid reasons to play. It is important that the SB not checkraise you. It is important that you get paid if you make something. It would help if these passive souls would check the turn around once in a while.

You need these things for your call to be borderline.

You mentioned the some-would-fold and some-would-call posts. I actually said go either way. At some point we are splitting pennies in the EV calculations and this hand is about there. It really doesn't matter. Play this one for fun and to be a good-ol-boy. Play it to put BB on tilt when you hit your hand [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img].

Or fold to reduce your variance, save your energy, and focus on another table you might be playing.