Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-05-2003, 06:36 PM

Default Re: I have no balls

Its called "Heart". If you don't have the "Heart" then you'll get crucified if you loosen up and play more aggressively: it just means you'll be folding bigger pots.

Try this: In the middle of your forehead is a switch. "Down" is "Tight Whimp", "Up" is "Tenacious Maniac". When the switch is down, any old reason to check or fold is a good one. When the switch is up any old reason to bet or raise or finally call is a good one. As the cards are dealt, turn the switch down. If you see a flop you like (like top-pair 2nd kicker), turn the switch UP until the end of the hand. Click. Hear it? This means once you are "invested", try very hard to show the hand down in a big pot, even when you lose "Heart".

Once you get comfortable with this you'll be able to sense the fear the opponents will feel. You will also, over time, learn when to switch the switch at other times.

Your problem, probably, is that you have no idea what anybody else has. You can fix that by paying attention to the opponent's actions while you are NOT involved. Generally, focus on one player, usually the first to asserte himself: [Step 1] Figure out what YOU would have if you took the action they took. [Step 2] When you see the opponent's hand and its not what you expected, try to reconcile [a] would you have played that hand that way? [b] did you learn something about this opponent? [Step 3] Try to anticipate what THIS opponent is likely to have given what you know about that opponent.

- Louie
Old 05-05-2003, 06:59 PM

Default Forget about balls

Eighty bucks is way short for a buy-in. Not only may it increase your weak-tight tendencies, it may induce savvy opponents to come after you more aggressively, further aggravating the problem.

Your problem isn't a lack of aggressiveness, its a general lack of understanding of how to think about poker - and I'm not just talking about strategy, I'm talking about understanding how to really honestly evaluate yourself and your opponents.

I think this is true for 95% of players, including myself. And the best thing to do about it is to buy a book called Killer Poker, by John Vorhaus. It's the only poker book that I've put down and started hoping that it didn't get popular.
Old 05-05-2003, 11:38 PM

Default Re: Forget about balls

And the best thing to do about it is to buy a book called Killer Poker, by John Vorhaus. It's the only poker book that I've put down and started hoping that it didn't get popular.

I think this book is well worth the money, especially for anyone who has an understanding about a lot of the technical poker material.
Old 05-06-2003, 09:54 AM

But I have no balls. I'm a tight passive player.

I say you're off to a good start if you are indeed new to the game. At least you're not starting out loose passive or loose aggressive. Most players, on their way to becoming solid, go through a weak-tight phase. Now it's time to dial up the aggression when it's warrented. And it's also good that you recognize your weakness. Don't pray, find out what's wrong with your game and fix the leaks.

It's difficult to give specific advice without seeing specifically how you play. Post some hands. You'll get honest--sometimes brutally honest--feedback.
Old 05-06-2003, 10:30 AM

Maybe consider playing online $1/2 which is quite similiar to live $3/6. It will teach you to play youre better hands more aggressively and allow you to play more hands per hour.
Old 05-06-2003, 02:05 PM

Thanks for the input. Good idea to think about turning the switch “up” in the right situations. I’ve played some .5/1 online. It seemed tighter than my usual 3/6 live game. I lost less money, but in percentage terms (like number of BB), I actually did worse. I don’t play weak/tight when it’s .5/1. Anyway, thanks.