Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2005, 05:56 PM

Default Re: AQ hand!

I'm with Yugo. My goal with AQs in this situation is to keep the pot small while still trying to figure out where I am at. If I bump to 60 pre-flop, that gets us a pot of 135 in this situation (assuming the mini-flop doesn't invite more action, which it might). Now my continuation bet only needs to be in the 60ish range. If he calls, bump out another 60. If he calls, check down the river. Total investment now only 180.
Old 08-24-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oft-times you don't need to play the later streets well because you win the hand on the flop. I like your friend Greke's thoghts here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes.

I like Greke's line and will often use it myself. My main point is that the OP is doing everything he can to generate a big pot that will be difficult to play.

Still, I also like checking the flop and possibly calling/betting turn and other such things. There is much more room to maneveur if you give your betting impetus up while the pot is still somewhat small.

Yugoslav
Old 08-24-2005, 06:31 PM

My idea behind the big preflop raise is to get heads up. When I hit the flop I will often get paid off, because people at this level has difficaulties letting go of a hand when they already have invested a great deal of chips. If I don't hit the flop I will lead out anyway, with a rather large bet, almost potsize, if they don't fold there it is check-fold mode the rest of the way. I think this approach is +EV on the lower limits, I don't know what you guys think of that?
Old 08-24-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
My idea behind the big preflop raise is to get heads up. When I hit the flop I will often get paid off, because people at this level has difficaulties letting go of a hand when they already have invested a great deal of chips. If I don't hit the flop I will lead out anyway, with a rather large bet, almost potsize, if they don't fold there it is check-fold mode the rest of the way. I think this approach is +EV on the lower limits, I don't know what you guys think of that?

[/ QUOTE ]

At the lower limits the tourney is not won or lost at this point. I find your line overly aggressive and unnecessary.
Old 08-24-2005, 06:50 PM

Hej

Byd lidt mindre preflop (4 gange bb er i overkanten når stacks er så små). Byd lidt mindre på floppet - om det er 60 eller 80% af potten gør ikke det store, hvis villain folder så gør han det, hvis ikke så har du smidt 20% væk.

Velkommen iøvrigt til foraet - pm (personal message) mig hvis du har brug for tips, fx med hensyn til hvilke skribenter det er værd at lytte til...
Old 08-25-2005, 01:29 AM

That sure killed that thread.

Maybe you could offer the users of this forum the courtesy of using PM if you wish to communicate in a tongue different from English - which happens to be the official language of twoplustwo.

Best,

McMelchior (Johan)
Old 08-25-2005, 02:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Blinds aren't worth stealing, and callers probably have you dominated.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. At the lower limits people will call with anything. I had someone call my UTG raise with 76o the other night. Limping has its merits as well, but raising is certainly not awful.

The only thing I'd change is to scale down my flop bet a bit. There isn't much you need to protect your hand agaist (except other over cards). I think a continuation bet of about 125 is enough to accomplish what you need to accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. And as for miniraising- it does nothing. At these blind levels it's horrible especially from MP. Almost no one is gonna fold b/c of a miniraise. 125 is fine, 60 is inviting speculative hands to take a shot. I HATE miniraising at lower levels except in very specific situations. If your gonna raise, RAISE!
Old 08-25-2005, 04:01 AM

Another vote for raising and betting too much.

I raise 85-90 preflop and bet half pottish against one caller.

NP: Lamb Of God - Break You
Old 08-25-2005, 09:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Wrong. At the lower limits people will call with anything. I had someone call my UTG raise with 76o the other night. Limping has its merits as well, but raising is certainly not awful.

The only thing I'd change is to scale down my flop bet a bit. There isn't much you need to protect your hand agaist (except other over cards). I think a continuation bet of about 125 is enough to accomplish what you need to accomplish.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. And as for miniraising- it does nothing. At these blind levels it's horrible especially from MP. Almost no one is gonna fold b/c of a miniraise. 125 is fine, 60 is inviting speculative hands to take a shot. I HATE miniraising at lower levels except in very specific situations. If your gonna raise, RAISE!

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be that calling is better than a mini-raise, but I think building the pot with a huge raise with this hand at this point in the tournament is an even more terrible line. If you steal, whoopie! If you get called, you have to navigate the flop with care and, if you miss, have to place an expensive continuation bet.

In this spot I prefer to put as little chips at risk as possible. Too much to lose and very little to gain. If you flop an ace or better yet TPTK with the Q, then you can start to move.
Old 08-25-2005, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It may be that calling is better than a mini-raise, but I think building the pot with a huge raise with this hand at this point in the tournament is an even more terrible line.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is a middle ground between a minraise and a huge raise. One of them thar false dichotomies.

My line would be to raise to 90-100 PF, bet the flop for about 120, which still leaves you with something like 700 going to the turn, room to fire a reasonable bet on the turn and still get away from a reraise.

So assuming he smoothcalls my flop bet, I bet something like 200 on the turn. If he calls there, I'm check/folding the river.

I think there's a difference between controlling the size of the pot and failing to isolate with a top pair hand. Case in point: I'm folding 22-88 (maybe 99-TT) to a real raise preflop here. I'm not folding any of them to a minraise. All of those hands now have you beat.