Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-08-2005, 05:40 PM

Default Re: do I have the odds to call here?

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I think putting the villian these two hands,

Quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I put Button on AA or KK now.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is a leak.

[/ QUOTE ]

Feeling mighty bold aren't we? I don't think putting him on these hands is a leak. A leak is when you make a mistake with your chips. Recognizing a slow played AA or KK is a difficult skill, and I certainly don't have it. So, I might be wrong. But from my point of view (those pesky $55s), this is a slow played AA/KK scared of a straight draw and flush draw possible board.
Old 03-08-2005, 05:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Feeling mighty bold aren't we?

[/ QUOTE ]

Not really. I felt you were being too bold in the range of hands you were attributing to the villian here.

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think putting him on these hands is a leak. A leak is when you make a mistake with your chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is probably just semantics, but, IMO, you're going to 'leak' chips if you make inaccurate assumptions about an opponents range of hands.

[ QUOTE ]

Recognizing a slow played AA or KK is a difficult skill, and I certainly don't have it. So, I might be wrong. But from my point of view (those pesky $55s), this is a slow played AA/KK scared of a straight draw and flush draw possible board.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a $55 SNG. Yes, it's a difficult skill. But, IMO $33 players do not all play it in the manner of the OP. I think putting an opponent on AA or KK here will cause you to lose chips when opponents call with nothing and then bet you off of a pot with nothing.

There is no way for you to attribute the range of KK-AA to the villian based on the information contained above in the thread.

Yugoslav
Old 03-08-2005, 06:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There is no way for you to attribute the range of KK-AA to the villian based on the information contained above in the thread.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious then. Given all the action, what would/could have been a clue, or a tell tale sign of a slow played AA/KK?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm curious then. Given all the action, what would/could have been a clue, or a tell tale sign of a slow played AA/KK?

[/ QUOTE ]

I've never had to put an opponent on exactly AA-KK.

There are things that increase the liklihood, IMO, and things that decrease the likihood.

For example:
If I ever play with Raptor in the above situation. It very well could be the first time I put someone on KK-AA. I doubt he'd be playing meta-games with me given his 8 table set-up and I doubt I'd really want to find out if his claims about always limping AA-KK are true or not.

As for 'the above action' I assume the lack of action is what made you put the villian on KK-AA. I think that monkey's like to limp. He limped...good chance he's a monkey, good chance he doesn't have KK-AA. I'm not ruling it out, but as I mentioned previously, I'm not going to give him credit for KK-AA based solely on the information above.

Yugoslav
I don't think there is a 'telltale' sign of KK-AA. There are certain situations that suggest heavily you may be up against a monster (which is perhaps *likely* to be KK-AA), but there is still a distinction.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:29 PM

If you are thinking top pair or overpair, this is an easy fold. Look at it as a delayed blind steal, if nothing else. Would you have called a 600t raise pre-flop?

I don't think you put your tournament life on the line on a draw, if your read says you are behind.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:32 PM

So you've NEVER played against someone who limped with AA/KK in late play? Or, you've never been knocked out by someone who's limped with AA/KK in late play?

I come across this frequently enough on the $33s that I tend to watch for it. But you are right, putting villain exclusively on AA/KK here is wrong, but it's not a leak. This hand sucks.

Scuba - who wants to know what "playing meta-games" means?
Old 03-08-2005, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are thinking top pair or overpair, this is an easy fold. Look at it as a delayed blind steal, if nothing else. Would you have called a 600t raise pre-flop?

I don't think you put your tournament life on the line on a draw, if your read says you are behind.

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, if one of us had just said this, this post would be over. To the point, well done, sir.
Old 03-08-2005, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

OK, if one of us had just said this, this post would be over. To the point, well done, sir.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not agreeing that villain has AA or KK, in fact at this point Hero is behind just about anything, all he has is an OESD which not worth my tournament life. At this point of the tournament FE is everything so I am not calling anything when I am behind A high.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:47 AM

Default It happened at my table

Hand converter doesn't show hands, and this is a $33.

***** Hand History for Game 1707205164 *****
15/30 TourneyTexasHTGameTable (NL) (Tournament 10223272) - Tue Mar 08 22:15:22 EST 2005
Table Table 10988 (Real Money) -- Seat 4 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: DonOki (755)
Seat 2: Barcaloungr (875)
Seat 3: Boommad (740)
Seat 4: billymaloof (840)
Seat 5: ATpoker39 (740)
Seat 6: Scuba_Chuk (725)
Seat 7: Snwbdr23 (785)
Seat 8: besty1885 (1630)
Seat 9: dfink111 (465)
Seat 10: jmark71 (445)
ATpoker39 posts small blind (10)
Scuba_Chuk posts big blind (15)
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to Scuba_Chuk [ 7s, Qd ]
Barcaloungr: sounds like good times
Snwbdr23 folds.
besty1885 folds.
dfink111 folds.
jmark71 folds.
DonOki folds.
Barcaloungr folds.
Boommad folds.
billymaloof calls (15)
ATpoker39 raises (20) to 30
Scuba_Chuk folds.
billymaloof raises (60) to 75
ATpoker39 raises (710) to 740
ATpoker39 is all-In.
billymaloof calls (665)
Creating Main Pot with $1495 with ATpoker39
** Dealing Flop ** : [ 8h, 8d, Js ]
** Dealing Turn ** : [ 3d ]
** Dealing River ** : [ 6d ]
** Summary **
Main Pot: 1495 |
Board: [ 8h 8d Js 3d 6d ]
DonOki balance 755, didn't bet (folded)
Barcaloungr balance 875, didn't bet (folded)
Boommad balance 740, didn't bet (folded)
billymaloof balance 1595, bet 740, collected 1495, net 755 [ As Ah ] [ two pairs, aces and eights -- As,Ah,Js,8h,8d ]
ATpoker39 balance 0, lost 740 [ 9c 9h ] [ two pairs, nines and eights -- Js,9c,9h,8h,8d ]
Scuba_Chuk balance 710, lost 15 (folded)
Snwbdr23 balance 785, didn't bet (folded)
besty1885 balance 1630, didn't bet (folded)
dfink111 balance 465, didn't bet (folded)
jmark71 balance 445, didn't bet (folded)
Old 03-09-2005, 12:49 AM

Default It happened at my table - again

This counts right?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t300 (5 handed) converter

MP (t1710)
Button (t680)
SB (t1180)
BB (t2600)
Hero (t1830)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img].
Hero calls t300, MP calls t300, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, BB checks.

Flop: (t1050) T[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets t300</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to t1530 (All-In)</font>, MP calls t1410 (All-In), BB folds.

Turn: (t4290) A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

River: (t4290) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players, 2 all-in)</font>

Final Pot: t4290