Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-21-2005, 01:18 AM

Default Re: Your downswings ever site specific?

I just realized when it is called zoo here after reading all the responses in this thread.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:23 AM

Ask a dumb question and get dumb responses i guess.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:29 AM

[ QUOTE ]
but at UB I always seem to be up against a monster

[/ QUOTE ]

I posted about this the other day. :-)
Old 07-21-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
That's cuz online poker is rigged.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ummm that's not what I said or what I was implying so I'd appreciate it if you took that stupid ass cliche response and shove it up your ass. It's old, it really is.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're out of control.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you go into a major downswing, do you ever find it to be site specific? Can you fire up another site and do well, but when you go back to the first site you're still in a downswing?

Just curious because I am experiencing that right now. Signed up with UB and have been on a huge downswing since the first hand. I am 0-16 in their SNGs ranging from $6-$22. I am down 100BB at the $1/$2 NL. I fire up Stars, and I was ITM in 6-13. The 6-max NL is like an ATM machine for me. I go back to UB to try and finish clearing the bonus (which will apparently take me all year) and I go 0-7 again in SNGs and slaughtered at the ring games.

At Stars I get paid off constantly, but at UB I always seem to be up against a monster. The last 6 UB SNGs I busted out of were either full house beaten by quads twice, flush beat my trips, etc etc.

Just wondering if jumping sites during a downswing has helped anyone, or does the bad luck/cards follow you wherever you go until it's over?

[/ QUOTE ]

These "site-specific" downswings exist for a couple of reasons. First, and obviously, the different sites have different levels of players. Second, I believe that the majority of players simply play better at the beginning of a poker session than they do towards the middle or end, espeically if they are losing. Psychologically, when you start on a new site, this may seem to most players like a new "session." If you start losing on the site, psychologically the effect may be to continue playing badly on that site because your bad run is affecting your play.
Old 07-21-2005, 01:41 AM

Sometimes but I almost always find that's its psychological more than just normal variance upon further reflection.

So if jumping sites makes you feel better-and more likely to play better-then roll with it but sometimes dealing with that initial adversity/sub-optimal play and coming out from it is a good idea if your bank/psyche can handle it. You'll be better for it in the long run.
Old 07-21-2005, 07:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When you go into a major downswing, do you ever find it to be site specific? Can you fire up another site and do well, but when you go back to the first site you're still in a downswing?

Just curious because I am experiencing that right now. Signed up with UB and have been on a huge downswing since the first hand. I am 0-16 in their SNGs ranging from $6-$22. I am down 100BB at the $1/$2 NL. I fire up Stars, and I was ITM in 6-13. The 6-max NL is like an ATM machine for me. I go back to UB to try and finish clearing the bonus (which will apparently take me all year) and I go 0-7 again in SNGs and slaughtered at the ring games.

At Stars I get paid off constantly, but at UB I always seem to be up against a monster. The last 6 UB SNGs I busted out of were either full house beaten by quads twice, flush beat my trips, etc etc.

Just wondering if jumping sites during a downswing has helped anyone, or does the bad luck/cards follow you wherever you go until it's over?

[/ QUOTE ]

I have the same problem. I think it can be something about the software. Some sites' software just rubs me the wrong way and it kinda gets under my skin, maybe aggravating a mini-tilt. I just got done playing over at Paradise, and for some reason I kept getting lagged off my hand. I hadn't played at Paradise for a long time, so I was playing micro limits while reading emails, etc. Anyway, I don't think I'll be playing much Paradise anytime soon. The place just bugs me now. lol

Ironically, UB kinda rubs me the right way. I just like the feel of their software. At first I didn't, but I started playing there and got hooked. Also, I used to love pokerroom, but now I'm sick of that place, I got lagged off too many hands and just quit there. Seems like their software is getting slower and slower. Anyway.

Long story short, if a site is bugging you, just switch. There's no reason to play somewhere if it's bugging you, regardless of the reasons.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:24 AM

Empire was my downswing site. I have NEVER had a winning deposit there. I'm pretty sure I have never won at Party either. It's pretty frustrating when I know the play there is soft and have never been able to capitalize on it.

I think it may stem from my first online real $ deposit @ Party. I obviously lost. Maybe those stupid, fake people at the table subconsciously remind me of that failure. (It pissed me off so much I didn't play any more for about a year: I was CONVINCED the site was rigged!)

I now believe they wern't rigged, I just sucked. But I still can't seem to win there so I don't play there. My time is better invested at the sites where my confidence is high.
Old 07-21-2005, 08:52 AM

It seems whenever I load at a new site, I get killed for the first month. It happened at Party now it's happening at PokerStars.

Normal annoying stuff like a long string of 4:1 shots busting two pair or trips, 99 all-in against 77 and a 7 spiking, limping 89s in the small blind and the BB raises...
Old 07-21-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]

These "site-specific" downswings exist for a couple of reasons. First, and obviously, the different sites have different levels of players. Second, I believe that the majority of players simply play better at the beginning of a poker session than they do towards the middle or end, espeically if they are losing. Psychologically, when you start on a new site, this may seem to most players like a new "session." If you start losing on the site, psychologically the effect may be to continue playing badly on that site because your bad run is affecting your play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think he had a very valid question and I like this response as one reason.

There also seems to be a different culture at different sites were your game has to be adjusted to be able to win.